What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot Height

Steve Allen

I'm New Here
I'm considering building the 9A and wanted to see if anyone could tell me if I have a good chance of fitting in the cockpit and being comfortable. I am six foot four inches tall and about 225 lbs.

Also, is there any impact on my ability to fit when it comes to slider v. tilt-up canopy?

Thank you.

Hey Steve,

I'm 6'3" and about 200 lb., and during my ride in Pete McCoy's 9A (slider canopy), I fit just fine. I had to duck just a little as the canopy slid forward, but once closed my head never touches the canopy, and Pete's got a sunshade fitted which reduces the clearance a bit.

It may depend on how you're proportioned…I'm a bit longer in the legs, with an average-height torso. You definitely need to sit in one to decide.

Options? Build an RV-14, or check out Anti-Splat Aero's "Almost an RV-14" seating mod that fits a 9A. It moves the crossmember behind the seats rearward so you can recline quite a bit more. Watch the video on the site, as it explains it thoroughly.

Edit: And welcome to VAF!!

Last edited:
I'm 6' 2" and have no problems in the tip-up RV-9A. Seat back at the aft setting and rudder pedals at the forward location. Every RV with a slider canopy I've been in I've had to duck when closing. The RV-7A I did transition training in had the pedals more aft, and I was always a bit cramped up with my legs.

RV9A fit

I am 6"4" 250 lb. and I am comfortable. I pushed the rudder pedals all the way forward, mounted my throttle and mixture in the instrument panel, not below and had my lower cushion padding reduced by 1" by classic aero. I also use a Halo (in ear) headset and no sunshade.

I have a tip-up which I really like however if you are building you may want to consider building a slider with the Anti-Splat almost a 14 conversion... I sit upright and that mod reclines you a bit which I can imagine would be nice.

By the way, I did sit in a 14 and I got no more headroom. The floor is built up so no gain in headroom, just width. In my estimation , not worth it just build a 9 which can accommodate a much less expensive engine.:cool:

Go for the 14

I'm just shy of 6'1" and 185, and have the rudder pedals all the way fwd, and the seat backs in the rearmost pos'n. I fit fine. My one flyin' buddy, however, is 6'4"+ and 200lbs. It's a danged tight fit for him ... barely comfortable on flights of 2hrs or less. Longer than that and he's way too cramped. With the "wedgie" cushion removed from under his seat, his headroom is barely do-able. FWIW.

I'm 6' 5 1/2", 190 lbs and have plenty of room in my nearly-complete -9A.

I moved the rudder pedals forward to the firewall gusset and haven't got any upholstery yet, only a lounge cushion, but even with a thick headset pad, I don't get close to the tip-up canopy, and have plenty of reach with the harness cinched up tight.

I would suggest a slider will require you to duck on opening and closing and may provide slightly easier ingress, but the visibility you get from a tip up sold me. YMMV... ;)

I didn't even try an RV on for size before I order my kit, merely placed my trust in the numbers Vans published for internal dimensions.

6'-5" and 245# with no problems. RV-9 with a slider.
Only problem is shoulder width for me. If I were to take a passenger with wide shoulders it could get uncomfortable. I don't have alot of canopy clearance but I changed over to the Halo headset. I have not hit my head with turbulence yet. You note I said yet. I did bump once with an entry into a inverted spin.

Welcome Steve!

gee, I get to be first?

Steve, I think you just need to go sit in a few 7 and 9's, which have the same cabin. I'm 5' 10" and a bit, and am constantly hitting the canopy, stock cushions, etc. so obviously there are a lot of different postures, body types etc.
Definitely echo the need for the almost a -14 mod for you though.

I am just your size (you are the proper height/weight!) and have flown my 9A slider for seven years. I have the pedals all the way forward and everything is fine. I often carry a guy in the 6' 300# range, and once we are belted in, we are comfortable. Belting in is awkward. I would consider the "almost a 14" mod if I were building again. Another thing that is handy is in-the-ear headsets. I use Halos. That gives another bit of headroom, and allows you to wear a hat. I also fly a 12, and it seems to have a little more room, but that may just be my perception. The 9 is going to be slightly more economical than the 14, if that is a concern. The 9 is a great plane--you can't go wrong!

Bob

I am 6'4" and 240 lbs. I fit in my 9A slider without bumping my head, even with a hat under my headset. I did install Allan's Almost a 14 mod, which I highly recommend. The reach to the panel is much more comfortable now. I have so much head clearance that I installed the thin Classic Aero pad under my seat cushion to get good visibility over the glare shield! Also, with the mod, I sit all the way back and have the pax seat back set forward a few inches with the hinged flap. This allows me and the pax to "overlap" shoulders a bit if necessary.

I am only 5'6 1/2" And I have my 9a set up with the booster cushion. Even at my height, I tilt my head to the side when closing the slider. If you don't set your plane up that way, you are missing out on some of the fantastic over the nose visibility available to you.

Certainly not a problem for someone 6'4" tall, but take the rest of us should not be afraid to use appropriate boosters.

RV-9A Pilot Fit Check

For what it's worth: Just this weekend a generous local builder let me do a "Pilot Fit Check" in his tip-up RV-9A.

At 6'3", 190# with perhaps a long torso, I had approximately 1" clearance to the canopy, with full thickness seat cushions. I was just sitting there, not cinched down with seatbelts.

The cockpit in general is pretty compact. His layout seemed very well organized instrumentation-wise, with everything close to hand.

I personally would go for thinner seat cushions, if possible, to gain some space, so in turbulence one could minimize the, "Thump", "Ow!".

Perhaps one day Van's will offer a higher canopy option, for the big and tall among us. (So ya might lose a knot or two...)

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH

Back