What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun shade stick on

Yup

I use them all the time. They are cheap, last most of a summer. They peel on and off easily. I prefer them to the koger sunshade. You can get them at any auto shop etc, very inexpensively. Handy as they can be moved up, back, or over to the side depending on sun. Also handy keeping sun/glare and heat off Ipad.

Get a few extra. When they get dirty or rolled up a bunch of times, they need a really good clean to get their static stick back.

Yes, well the Walmart version. It worked good the first time. but the next time, had trouble with them staying up. Probably will toss them.

They Work

I had one I used a lot when flying into the sun. I bought two more so I can double up on my side and have one for the pax. They stick best when new, but they still stay up after several uses. You gotta have something to block the sun when it is low and in your face.

I have had mine installed continuously on the portion of the canopy above my head in my -7a for several years now. No reason to take it off. I like that it blocks much of the overhead sun while still allowing some visibility. I would try another source before ACS though if all they have is 6x9 inch patches. That is way too small, at least for how I use it. If you do use a larger piece, install by first spraying the canopy with a mixture of 2/3 DI water, 1/3 isopropyl alcohol, and a drop or two of ivory liquid soap. Apply the sun screen, Then use a credit card or similar tool to squeegee it out and you wll be able to get it completely flat over the complex curve of the canopy. Best part is if you screw it up or dont want it full time, just peel off and start over.

erich

My wife has been using them for years. We got them somewhere cheap - like Walmart maybe (green and gray). They stick well and can be easily cut with scissors if needed. If you loose the static, just wash them and its back! We haven't had to do this, but they cost about as much as one decent beer, so you could just toss them.

I had poor luck with the walmart version and then went to the suction cup style (post by jmbrwn) and they seem to work much better. I cut up an old space blanket and slip it behind the flexible cloth when I need more complete shade.

Greg

Any newer model shades out?

We use the shades on our fedex jets that are cut to fit with little suction cups spaced about every 12". The material is fairly thick and I've never seen any fail in the 5 yrs being used. Has anyone seen anything similar to this? I suppose they could be fabricated fairly easy, if not on the market. Thx dm

good to hear they work!

I planned to try some, and stuck one under the canopy for a few minutes in the sun. The area where it was, got SOOOO hot, I immediately took it off, afraid the canopy would crack.
Apparently, this is not a huge concern, but do be aware that the heat energy is no longer going THRU, it's stopping AT the shade, and has to dissipate somewhere.
I printed a 50% screen ( dot pattern) on some cling vinyl, hoping to get some shade, without as much temp gain, and still be able to see through it.
Frankly, you can, but would never spot traffic, unless it was, um, really close!

I planned to try some, and stuck one under the canopy for a few minutes in the sun. The area where it was, got SOOOO hot, I immediately took it off, afraid the canopy would crack.
Apparently, this is not a huge concern, but do be aware that the heat energy is no longer going THRU, it's stopping AT the shade, and has to dissipate somewhere.
I printed a 50% screen ( dot pattern) on some cling vinyl, hoping to get some shade, without as much temp gain, and still be able to see through it.
Frankly, you can, but would never spot traffic, unless it was, um, really close!
Omg! Thx for pointing that out!! That'd suck to mess up the glass.

I use one of these. Keep it suctioned to side of fuselage above arm rest until needed. One hand attach anywhere on canopy where sun is. Change heading, move it in 5 sec. Suction cup holds it in place just fine. When done just stick it back on side of fuselage. Cheap.

Last edited:
I should have stated that I just wanted to use these when it was sitting outside in the sun which is only when I am on a trip if I do not cover it with the piper 140 cover I use which works very well

I'll snap a photo of the ones that I mentioned we use at FedEx possibly I can get a hold of the company who manufactured them for us and give them some specs that would be the ultimate.

Works Good

I have three in the plane for when the sun is low and coming through the front. You need to double up sometimes. If they loose the static cling, just rub it against some cloth and it picks up enough static to stay up. Get the biggest ones you can.

stick on's not really up to the task

I should have stated that I just wanted to use these when it was sitting outside in the sun which is only when I am on a trip if I do not cover it with the piper 140 cover I use which works very well

I found I didn't want or have room for my heavy Bruce's cover either, so for trips, I broke down and spent $180 on the lightweight nylon? fly cover from Van's...there are others too.

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/sto...35-132-609&browse=gifts&product=canopy-covers

the soft cling vinyl is really a pain after it's removed...if it gets wrinkled much, it won't stick, if it gets dirty, it won't stick etc. You really need to store it flat on it's waxed paper sheet, or roll it up carefully.

Plus, if you are concerned about the plexi heating up like I was, the fly cover doesn't have this issue, and keeps the sun off, prying eyes out, and the dust & bird stuff off also!

Abby at flightline

the static cling version Abby sells worked great for me in the Calif dessert for an entire month and they still work great.

Thx

I found I didn't want or have room for my heavy Bruce's cover either, so for trips, I broke down and spent $180 on the lightweight nylon? fly cover from Van's...there are others too.

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/sto...35-132-609&browse=gifts&product=canopy-covers

the soft cling vinyl is really a pain after it's removed...if it gets wrinkled much, it won't stick, if it gets dirty, it won't stick etc. You really need to store it flat on it's waxed paper sheet, or roll it up carefully.

Plus, if you are concerned about the plexi heating up like I was, the fly cover doesn't have this issue, and keeps the sun off, prying eyes out, and the dust & bird stuff off also!
ordering this Monday. Thx for pointing out!

Anyone know the weight difference between the two covers sold by Vans. I use the heavier weight Bruce model but would like to eliminate the extra weight if the "lightweight" cover truly is and it is still effective.

Other companies

If someone else is making these for model specific, plz advise. Maybe more design/color choices. Thx dm

Gary,
Sorry I can not tell you the actual weight but I can tell you that I have the Van's lite weight cover and it is perfect for what I use it for. Day trips and a few days camping. Nylon so it is very lite weight. My hanger mate has the heavy Bruce cover and it is very nice but very heavy. I doubt. Mine weighs more than 10-14 oz. and does not take up much space.

Back