What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Parts Needed?

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am considering converting my two-lever quadrant controls to standard push-pull vernier cables in my RV-9A to get more leg room. I did not build this airplane. Can someone advise what parts I would need to buy from Van's to make this conversion? I have an O-320 engine. Thanks.

Doug

Control cables for O320 RV9A

Assuming you have a O320 with a carb. this is from Vans Firewall Forward list
1 CT A-740 BLACK PUSH PULL CABLE BLACK (Carb Heat)
1 CT BLK THROTTLE 44.5 (Throttle)
1 CT RED VMIXTURE 45 (Mixture)

You will also need the F-746 Engine Control Bracket to rivet to the bottom of the panel to support the controls.

Which TQ do you have in your -9? I have the black DJM and don't find the room an issue. However, our installations could be much different.

My TQ seems to be the one offered for the RV-8, two lever model. It is mounted on two pieces of angle aluminum bolted to the bottom of the panel. The TQ sticks down to within a few inches of the manual elevator trim knob so I can't move my long leg over to the pax side when flying alone. I am 6"4"" tall. I like the easy control movement of the TQ but want to investigate the other option. I need to sit in another RV first.

Will you be in OSH this year? If so, you are welcome to try on my -9 for size.

Here is an old picture of my panel:

(click to enlarge)

There is a good bit of room between the bottom of the TQ and the trim. In fact, I was thinking if I ever add a CS prop (Don't get any ideas LA!), I will put the prop controller on a mount and hang it from the bottom of the TQ.

I was thinking if I ever add a CS prop (Don't get any ideas LA!), I will put the prop controller on a mount and hang it from the bottom of the TQ.

Mine will be reincarnated as a taildragger & possibly have a Skyview....

So.......you might as well..

I will be at OSH

Bill, I will be at OSH at the beginning of the week and will seek out your plane. It looks like your quadrant is sitting higher in the panel than mine. The top of my quadrant is even with the bottom of the standard Van's punched panel, and sticks down quite a ways.

Finally Doing It!

I bought new standard Van's cables for my -9a with an O-320 engine and the mounting bracket. Looking at panel pics all over VAF, I see this bracket is sometimes mounted flush with the main panel, and sometimes reversed so it is recessed about 1". Which way is the right way for a stock panel with stock cable lengths? The cables require different sized holes, so I can't easily do a test fit. If I get it wrong, the cables will be too long or too short. Thanks.

Back