What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pure joy of flying

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Today the weather was VFR excellence (we are still waiting for spring software upgrade here in Northern Italy), so me and my wife took some hours of free time for a flight, pure joy to do it, spending couple of hours together in our RV-8.

We departed from our airport southbound leaving the valley behind us

DSCN1637.jpg

Garda lake is the biggest lake in Italy..

DSCN1643.jpg

At the end of this headland there is the small town of Sirmione, full of ancient sites

DSCN1646.jpg

Radar control put us down to 1.500 ft. so we had a close point of view of Mantova city with their small lakes

DSCN1647.jpg

After having been intercepted by two AMX - Italian Air Force fighters (coordinated for their training purpose) we crossed Po river.

DSCN1649.jpg

We landed in a small airport to see an L5 Stinson and a J3 Cub restoration work.

DSCN1651.jpg

Spent sometime in the local Pub drinking with friends, then flew back home

DSCN1658.jpg

Again in the middle of the mountains ... used to have no plan B

DSCN1668.jpg

Take a look to this medieval castle full of stories ...

DSCN1671.jpg

In final for our home airport we took a look to our house (the yellow one 1/2 inch over my tip-lens )

DSCN1677.jpg

Today is the best day ... ever !

Last edited:
Bellissimo!

Italia e Molto bene! Luke - my family is from Abruzzo, my next visit (un anno proximo) i'll try and pay you a visit!

Ciao

Did I read that right?

"Spent some time in the local pub drinking with friends and then flew home" Hmmm... sounds like flying in the USA 40 years ago.

Luke, if I ever get to Italy.....you're the guy I'm calling first!

Great pictures. Thank you!

v/r,
dr

Luca, I have to come to Trento to meet you... and obviously do a flight with you on your -8!:D

Next time you come near Mantova, call me! My airfield is very close, about 5' in flight.

Is that Castel Beseno? If so, we have very fond memories because we stayed in Caliano for several days a few years ago, visited the Castel and did a lot of hiking on the old roads and trails in the hills behind it--che bella storia questo paese!!

AMX pictures?

Lucca, do you have any pictures of the AMX while being "intercepted"?
Great pics, beautiful country!
Gregg

Yesss

Is that Castel Beseno? If so, we have very fond memories because we stayed in Caliano for several days a few years ago, visited the Castel and did a lot of hiking on the old roads and trails in the hills behind it--che bella storia questo paese!!

Dave, you're right !!!

My home is very close to Calliano, next time call me !

I will call next time--planned for 2014. For a view of the valley looking towards Trento from Castel Beseno
Ciao.

Travel Joy is a Couple treasure

Enjoy it to the maximum in exactly the way you do as long as you can. People talk about all kinds of trivial pursuits but in the end the travels together leave the most lasting and most cherished memories.

Bob Axsom

Luke, thank you so much for posting the pictures and your story. I have always wanted to come visit Italy, and one day I hope to do just that. It would be great to meet you in person. :) Please keep enjoying your RV and posting like this once in a while. :)

Back