What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have to Replace Aileron Bearings?

lr172

Well Known Member
Doing my CI today, I found that one of my aileron bearings has some slop (inboard bracket). I see a bit of black around the seam of the two 1/8" pieces, so I assume the bearing race was a bit loose at assembly (QB wings) and over time the alum has fretted from wear.

Should be no problem making replacement brackets, but it looks like a bear to get the bracket out and back in. Doesn't seem like enough room to drill out just the rivets for the main bracket so the whole assembly will have to come off the rear spar.

Do I need to make a long bucking bar to get new rivets in? I was thinking CherryMax but guessing this application may not allow that. Has anyone asked Van's if Cherrymax are allowed here?

Larry

Yep. Last year I found the left outboard aileron would move up and down at the bushing. The inboard busing was fine.

After removing the aileron, I drilled off the aileron bracket and replaced it and the bushing.

Pretty simple process.

Back