What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy hinge cover and paint

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Just wondering what others have done when they painted or had their plane painted. Did you install the cover or had it separately painted. My concern is that if it get painted installed, then removing it might cause issues.

Any experience/thoughts would be appreciate it.

The covers on both RV-14 prototypes were painted separately, with masking to prevent paint build-up in the flanges that the covers rest in.

What issues are you concerned about?
H
With the tight fitting and since I will be using base/clear, the concern is that it will bond it to the fuselage and if I need to remove it, it will break the paint. I also have the same concern with the tank, if tanks are not removed to be painted separately but that has a bigger gap and might not get bonded.

Thanks Scott, I was hoping to hear from you and your experience.

Trim

RV plastic Steve Melton has made a nice cover that is easily removed and can be painted and is water tight I have them on my 14A

RV plastic Steve Melton has made a nice cover that is easily removed and can be painted and is water tight I have them on my 14A
Although I have been following his post but I have not seen these. Do you have a pix or link to them?
I actually would be very interested in a couple of other items that he can easily make. One is a cover for the "open" canopy switch.

Although I have been following his post but I have not seen these. Do you have a pix or link to them?
I actually would be very interested in a couple of other items that he can easily make. One is a cover for the "open" canopy switch.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/product-page/rv14-canopy-hinge-cover

I ordered some. I've been building up the kit parts and test fitted them - "OK" but the little spring retainers are very easy to bend too much while installing. If the plastic ones are paintable/sealable they're ideal for me - even if only "sealable" a nice improvement for ease of use.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/product-page/rv14-canopy-hinge-cover

I ordered some. I've been building up the kit parts and test fitted them - "OK" but the little spring retainers are very easy to bend too much while installing. If the plastic ones are paintable/sealable they're ideal for me - even if only "sealable" a nice improvement for ease of use.

One thing to keep in mind is that the kit supplied parts are purposely designed to be fragile to some degree. This is to assure that if the pilot ever chooses to jettison the canopy in flight, that it will (I.E., the hinge seals will not impede the hinge arms from lifting out of the slots).

If you choose to disable the jettison function then it doesn't really matter what you use to cover the openings, but if you have installed the jettison system and you ever expect it to function as designed, I suggest you use the covers supplied in the kit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, I just ordered a set and hope they arrive before I take the plane for painting. I will be curious to see how much the stick out, they are not flush like VANs original.

One thing to keep in mind is that the kit supplied parts are purposely designed to be fragile to some degree. This is to assure that if the pilot ever chooses to jettison the canopy in flight, that it will (I.E., the hinge seals will not impede the hinge arms from lifting out of the slots).

If you choose to disable the jettison function then it doesn't really matter what you use to cover the openings, but if you have installed the jettison system and you ever expect it to function as designed, I suggest you use the covers supplied in the kit.

Good point Scott. Question: I am installing jettison handle, but only intend it for use as emergency ground egress - no intention to do aerobatics or carry a 'chute. Would you agree that a plastic piece should be "defeatable" to remove canopy on the ground if latch is not usable?

Good point Scott. Question: I am installing jettison handle, but only intend it for use as emergency ground egress - no intention to do aerobatics or carry a 'chute. Would you agree that a plastic piece should be "defeatable" to remove canopy on the ground if latch is not usable?

If the latch is not usable, It wouldn't matter whether the hinge cover was defeatable...... So I guess I don't understand your question...

If the latch is not usable, It wouldn't matter whether the hinge cover was defeatable...... So I guess I don't understand your question...

Assuming aftermarket hinge covers are in place: if jettison handle is pulled, thereby releasing hinges, could forward canopy be pushed/pulled up (using reasonable force) for emergency ground egress?

Last edited:
Assuming aftermarket hinge covers are in place: if jettison handle is pulled, thereby releasing hinges, could forward canopy be pushed/pulled up (using reasonable force) for emergency ground egress?

I can't answer that because I have not physically seen the part being discussed but since the photo shows a screw and a clamping block my guess would be the answer is no.

If the standard kit supplied covers are used the answer is yes.

Covers

The plastic covers will brake out very easily you will see two small labs on the nut you instal first I tested that already his sight is Rv plastic.com to remove rember to take that plastic nut out or you will brake it he supply a tool to remove it I have they work great

The plastic covers will brake out very easily you will see two small labs on the nut you instal first I tested that already his sight is Rv plastic.com to remove rember to take that plastic nut out or you will brake it he supply a tool to remove it I have they work great
Did you paint yours? I ordered a set and then I learned they can not be painted if there is acetone or solvent in the paint. I will be painting my plane with Base/clear which does have solvent in it.

One thing to consider about installing plastic covers is their thickness. There is very little clearance with the canopy skirt when opening the canopy and at least a few folks have bent the thin skirt. Fortunately, my friend bent his before paint, so was able to mostly repair the damage. YMMV

One thing to consider about installing plastic covers is their thickness. There is very little clearance with the canopy skirt when opening the canopy and at least a few folks have bent the thin skirt. Fortunately, my friend bent his before paint, so was able to mostly repair the damage. YMMV

Hmmmm. Thanks for the heads up. I’ve already had the “pop” twice. Both after fiddling with the seal between the 2 hinges. I’ve got to take the canopy off and redo he seal (for hopefully the last time) before paint, hence looking at alternatives to the factory clips which I’m sure will get mangled coming out.

The plastic clips gave me the canopy pop when I tried them. Didn't happen the first few times I opened/closed and then it did.... Many have used them without incident but I went back to the factory covers. I've made up many sets of the factory clips; killed two sets just figuring out the best way to install and seal them.... Now I'm very happy with them but I didn't go so far as to paint them separately. I think if I ever had to take them off again I'd score the paint with a razor and destroy them getting them out! And just remake a new set it isn't much to do.

Last edited:
Back