What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interference between prop governor oil line and PlanePower AL12 alternator

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi VAFers,

I'm installing a PlanePower AL12-60 alternator on my IO-360-M1B and find that the body of the alternator contacts the prop governor oil line (aft mounted prop gov) when I install the belt over the flywheel and alternator pulleys.

It seems that it would require lots of tension to stretch the belt to the point where the clearance would be acceptable.

Is this a case of stretching out the new belt, or would a longer belt be better? I'm using the one that came in the box with the alternator (Dayco 15355; 35.5")

Stretching a new belt might take a WHILE---so take the belt off, position the alternator, and see what length NEW belt you will need. Make sure the alternator will clear other things, like the cowling, baffles. Sometimes changing 1 accessory can create several other issues.
Tom

I found the same issue.

I bent the line a little closer to the case (block of wood and a hammer YMMV) and the result was a small gap (1mm) between the alternator-line-case. 40 hrs with regular inspections indicate that it is working. Thankfully, the parts don't move that much.

The 15358 belt is a good idea too.
Edit 8-15-18 - I looked at mine again. Note (below) the adjustment slot has the bolt near the end. I used the standard belt, as the adjustment range might not accommodate much extra length.

Let us know how yours works out.

LF3vm8KbOQs6D9QHr0jk9GGrPdTmhcO_F9Xt9ISQMWjDYG5BUaJGtZRGkLPjKzJMStgcvpiBtqcgXZ-dECLzCbWxDSJgNXJYPHDFjvwZYC31A8aX33SMGZIC37wP_iERHvqDePogBDHrFcC5aaeEpb2iA7eIIL1gwgluxgObHuD2IsRqTqEVsDqXCH5AICrTOMUUq-TVFDk5JgPoW9YE7UvpY0LS19SqMx99UGTaPincvi8f1F12T8oGHG2dI8MMpW6Xpr0dWJoOPJPyKl9373UeGjkzB3_BBcI7llsTq1_VimrB7QN_iMg3WlO77dI2BP7tFLrL24H0gKOnstccl9LrZPw3lnisL8adyifzI7c7TvQ0jVfElQIwU5lglNT9kffckwG63TnD7leKRMzwIz95RTv-rztWd9sEd1b4rXsaQzLBne94ix69j-ClpY5BKgnuPAQ48iAe-qmUSoEOQaSNxiLAcXFpLNgeVsYWDmVeuZirn98zkG_wjHL2NltTgG7bSVsbV5764TSqQr8GyVUb8TyzdaOedameeHlxk_5sifZIbX-M_YclCaLCXHoHlmmefO_rdpCqWky_ykGHLv5SnSWN1ZPImU2o9y4=w800-no

Last edited:
dayco 15358 too big for the adjustment arm as you suggested Bill, ended up using the supplied 15355, which grants a mm or so clearance from oil line when torqued

No motion/no contact

dayco 15358 too big for the adjustment arm as you suggested Bill, ended up using the supplied 15355, which grants a mm or so clearance from oil line when torqued

Good to hear, Dave. Mine is about that distance and repeated inspections in Phase I showed no contact of the parts. None at 80 hrs for annual either.

Would a slightly longer belt provide more clearance?

The dayco 15358 is the next size larger belt from the stock belt. as mentioned the adjustment arm doesn?t allow enough ?slot? for proper (well, marginal) torque using that belt.

One could perhaps modify the alternator hardware but it seems the supplied 15355 belt is satisfactory. The belt may stretch a small amount as well in usage.

Back