What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Wing/Emp Shed

Draker

Well Known Member
With the fuselage kit still in its box and the mostly-finished wings taking up 1/2 my garage, it was finally time to move those puppies out of the way. After reading some ideas here, and considering things like strapping them to the garage ceiling, I ended up deciding to build a shed for them in the backyard, and it turned out great. It is 6 feet wide by 12 feet long, and fits both wings in their cradle, the horizontal stabilizer, both elevators, the vertical stabilizer, rudder, and all the various fiberglass ends that I haven't yet installed.

I had a pretty narrow backyard, so I had to plan a bit. The foundation would be two pressure treated skids on top of gravel:

IMG_0599-L.jpg

Child labor and animal labor always helps:

IMG_0603-L.jpg

Floor framing done:

IMG_0605-L.jpg

3/4" thick tongue and groove for the floor should support the weight:

IMG_0606-L.jpg

Raising the first wall:

IMG_0638-L.jpg

Walls framed and sheathed, and roof is done:

IMG_0644-L.jpg

Found shingles that matched the ones on my house!

IMG_0779-L.jpg

Hinges screwed into the siding. I plan to remove them later when I trim around the door and screw the hinges through the trim too. Later...

IMG_0780-L.jpg

Now to get everything in there. Horizontal stabilizer is secured to two 2x4s between the long wall frame via nylon straps:

IMG_0781-L.jpg

Vertical stabilizer mounted to the rear framing. It rests on this piece of 2x4 secured to the framing with two 1/2" dowels (glued) a bit of steel angle, and the nylon strap. At this point the nylon does not actually hold the spar, it just prevents it from falling off:

IMG_0782-L.jpg

The top of the VS hangs on another dowel, and then the whole thing is bungee corded in place for good measure:

IMG_0783-L.jpg

By some miracle (measuring many, many times) everything just barely fits!

IMG_0775-X3.jpg

I now have a fully empty garage available to start working on the canoe. Build on...

Back