What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Spring Rubbing On Cowling Air Duct

ChuckC

The spring on the left front of the exhaust (just below the #2 cylinder) has been rubbing the cowling air duct. The rubbing has gone through the heat shield and is now working on the fiberglass. The air duct is dimpled to make room for the spring; but, in my case, it looks like it could use another 1/8? to 3/16? of space to keep the spring and air duct from rubbing together. This is the original exhaust system on the 912ULS. This condition was found during the 200 hour engine maintenance (replace spark plugs, etc.).

I am thinking of cutting an oblong hole around the spring?s mark on the air duct and fiber glassing in a bubble to make more room for the spring.

Any suggestions?
7269gw.jpg
[/IMG]
6ep5yb.jpg

At a quick glance - -

Looks like you could bend the spring connection loop closer to the exhaust and gain some clearance.

Chuck,
Most of the builders I know of had to cut out and re-fiberglass the area in question. If I recall correctly, there were also clearance issues between the cowl and the valve cover of cylinder #2. Same solution there.
Alex

I just seating the spring in some RTV on the cowl and monitored it. It never got worse in three years.

Ya know, that?s not a bad idea. Assuming Chuck is happy with his oil cooler to muffler clearance, temps are OK, and nothing else is clattering against the cowling...just patch over the area with a piece of new foil, add some high-temp RTV and fly on. No messing around with more fiberglass if you don?t have to.

On second thought, I'd recommend cutting it out and glassing in an area that gives you some clearance as you first mentioned and others have recommended also. That's what I did during the original build. Not that much trouble and gives you much piece of mind.

Thank you all for your responses. Took the majority's vote and installed a bubble in the air duct. Now have a good 1/8" clearance all around the spring.

oqenmf.jpg

Alex, I also checked my cowling valve clearance on #2 and #4. #2 has at least 1/8" clearance; but, #4 is a little closer - but, still, not touching or rubbing on the cowling or coolant radiator.

Appreciate the help! Thanks!

Back