What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NavWorx tech issues - help each other

recapen

Well Known Member
Folks,

I know there are at least a couple of us out here with NavWorx equipment with non-AD related technical issues...while waiting for NavWorx to respond to our technical issue help requests, we should attempt to help each other.

To that end, I have a 6A with a NavWorx ADS600B -13 connected to a 430W, SL-70, and MX-20...

My unit displays "Ready for Flight" and "TX/RX Error", while not actually working. The "TX/RX Error" only showed up after I was able to get the transmitter turned on...which required installation of an older version of software as the "Activate Transmitter" feature had been removed from later software versions - then upgrading to the latest required software.

All of the other attached equipment in my environment appears to be working properly and communicating with the ADS600B -13 unit.

I can offer my environment to help test other folks units that are having technical issues. I would also request that others make available their working environment to test our non-working equipment in as well as known-good equipment for testing in our environment. Since we have some time before the 2020 mandate and don't know the NavWorx ongoing support status - this is most likely our best solution...aside from abandoning the NavWorx hardware and repurchasing an alternate solution.

Thanks for your collective consideration,

Navworx tech issues

Ralph:

I am not qualified to help your situation in any way that I know of.

I had my own problems with my ads600b -0012. They were of my own doing.

First I managed to buy a TT21 transponder when I should have bought a TT22.
That TT21 is sold and in the hands of someone that can install it and be compliant. A Sandia STX165R is going in shortly.

I also have an MGL IEFIS Explorer light. My error is in not knowing and not finding that in the Transponder control from the Iefis that altitude data (Barometric altitude) is transmitted in that serial control. So I had another serial port set up to transmit Icarus altitude data to a serial port on the Navworx. 2 sources of bar altitude data.

I think I finally have a better grasp of my installation but I have spent a lot of time going over the myriad of manuals to arrive at what I hope to be a working system.

Maybe we ought to have a Navworx fly-in just to learn and discuss these sort of issues.

What really got me to concentrate on my installation was a Call from the FAA which in essence was to let me know that my barometric altitude was intermittent, he even sent me the Google earth files. I think understand where the altitude stops. If I turned the TT21 off, then the Navworx would get passing results. So maybe in replacing the transponder I can get some good scores and not be concerned with that.
No I did not have suppression connected, I thought the Iefis controlled that?

I would help any way I can.

thanks

Keith Rhea
RV7 250 hours in 26 months( 24 months to build)
2017 dues paid

Folks,

I know there are at least a couple of us out here with NavWorx equipment with non-AD related technical issues...while waiting for NavWorx to respond to our technical issue help requests, we should attempt to help each other.

Great idea, gonna make this thread a "Sticky" so it will be easy to find in the future.

Thanks...To Mike for making this a sticky...until NavWorx starts answering their phones and e-mails, I think user collaboration is our best next steps!

Keith, once you get yours working consistently, I would like to send you my -13. The main difference is mine has ARINC - if I recall, they both have "non-tso'd" GPS in them. If you don't mind putting it in your plane and configuring it like yours and let me know if you get the same "TX/RX Error" message that I get....that should tell me that it is the NavWorx box and not my environment. Let me know if you're OK with this...and when! Mine's not working meanwhile anyway - due to something that my initial conversation with Bill Moffitt needed to be cleared...he provided some tests to perform which did not change the outcome.
Thanks,

Navworx tech issues

Ok by me, will let you know in a couple of weeks, new transponder cert set for week of Feb 13?

Thanks

Keith

I have a NavWorx ADS600-BG (not affected by AD) running to a GRT EFIS display.

When I have the system set to show Metars, no matter how hard I press on the screen, I can't get the airports shown as IFR to change to VFR.

Good adsb performance report

I finally got my new transponder installed and set up only to find out after about 6 hours of head scratching that I had crossed TX-TX and RX-RX for the transponder control to the Navworx. Once that got fixed, had a good configuration and a "Ready for Flight" so I took off did a short 30 minute flight up the east side of Wichita at 5500 feet and got a good report with only a .069% errors on flight ID.

Keith Rhea
RV7 0-320 Catto prop, MGL, Navworx, Sandia
Paid 2017.

Thanks

To krhea for his assistance in verifying that my unit has an internal technical issue. I sent my box out to him, he installed it in his known-good environment...and got the same issues that I experienced in my airframe.
He took a bunch of screen pictures and my unit will be on its way back to me soon.

I have sent another request to NavWorx with this update requesting assistance.
I'll let everyone know when I get a response - although I expect it won't be until after the AD or another official notice from the FAA is published.

Again thanks - and my offer to help others still stands!

Progress

I just got a note from Bill with an RMA number for my unit!
Things are happening again!

Two problems with the ADS600-B (-013 ARINC)...

1. I never could get the Transmon to reliably send Mode 3A and BARO ALT to the ADS600-B. 25 PAPRRS and all but one had errors for both, usually greater than 30%. After swapping EVERYTHING, and rewiring completely, I installed an encoder with an RS232 out and fed BARO ALT directly to the ADS600-B, and sent the squawk code directly from my GTX327 to the ADS600-B. Removed Transmon, and it has performed flawlessly since. The Transmon is not as reliable as a direct connection and in my case, on my airplane, it just flat would not work reliably and was not a viable option. To elaborate, I tried everything, including swapping the Transmon, ADS600-B box, Transponder (GTX327), Transponder antenna, and running new RG400, relocating the transponder antenna, and rewiring the entire system, including installing new pins, and replacing the Transmon USB cable. All, no help.

2. Display 2 will not output TIS-B. I initially installed a Bluetooth Adapter on Display 1, and the Navworx WIFI Adapter on Display 2. No matter what, I couldn't get traffic out of the WIFI on Display 2. I talked to Navworx and was assured that if the Console showed traffic in the log, it is going to all three Display Ports. But I'm here to tell you that Display 2, while outputting FIS-B just fine, is not getting TIS-B. A software bug. There are a few of us that have found this out the hard way and if enough of us tell Bill about it, he might start believing it. To get around the problem, I had to install a selector switch. Here's how I ended up wiring the system: http://southshore.com/~jaj/avionics/NavworxWiring.pdf

Good info - thanks for the input.
The TransMon reading through the shield...the shield is actually supposed to prevent that if my electronics classes memory serves me right.
I'll keep an eye on the multiple displays as mine is set up for the MX-20 through RS-422 on the 'other' port 1 (there are two options for port 1...pins 12,13,30, and 31 or pins 5 and 24 depending which pull down you select in the console) while port 2 is supposed to provide FIS and TIS to my AFS3400EE and GRT Mini-AP. Since I didn't know about the pull-down options for port 1 - I didn't wire port 2...yet! Now that my unit is out for repair, I'll take the opportunity to wire that port for the other devices and see if I have a similar issue as yours.

Mine is also a -013 and the ARINC goes to my 430W for traffic only.

The simulator works great for both the 430W and the MX-20 - we'll see when I get port 2 wired!

At a minimum, there should be a software revision to support the AD resolution - maybe they'll fix the display issues at the same time.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Mine is also a -013 and the ARINC goes to my 430W for traffic only.

Me too and it works great, but I wish Garmin would use GPS Track to build a heading, in lieu of a real heading signal from an HSI, etc. Without a heading signal, as you know, traffic won't appear on the main map page, only on the traffic page.

At a minimum, there should be a software revision to support the AD resolution - maybe they'll fix the display issues at the same time.

That's my hope cause I'd really like to have Display 2 available. In addition to an AD fix, we're still owed 1090 reception, so if Navworx survives, that should drive a software update in and of itself.

The TransMon reading through the shield...the shield is actually supposed to prevent that if my electronics classes memory serves me right.

Yep. The device works best with crummy coax, not at all with ideal coax.
I still don't understand how the FAA approved the use of the Transmon, but I seem to be beating a dead horse.

Yea Bob, that's my thoughts too. When I was in the market I called Navworx and asked them about the reliability of the Transmon, because I've never trusted inductance type devices as much as a hard connection. They assured me it was 100% solid and reliable. My friend installed the same system (he has a -0012 non ARINC) so it was easy to compare the two airplanes and swap parts to troubleshoot. His system came on line (would turn green) within a few minutes of power up because it would get valid data from his Transmon. Mine would sometimes take 30 minutes or more to get data from the Transmon and once everything turned green, it might only last for a few minutes before turning red again.

My friend could fly a single 800' AGL pattern and have a good PAPRR (flying well below FAA Radar coverage), whereas I could fly a 100 mile XC solidly within Radar coverage and have a bad one. Navworx told me my problem was that I wasn't being interrogated by an airliner or ground radar and my friend probably was, but four months of flying the exact same routes and altitudes as my friend, with him having good PAPRRs 100% of the time and me having bad PAPRRs 100% of the time convinced me that that probably wasn't the case.

So I agree, just because the FAA blessed it is no reason to blindly trust the Transmon schema if you are having no-transmit, BARO ALT, or Mode 3A problems.

Navworx told me my problem was that I wasn't being interrogated by an airliner or ground radar
s.

I have never been able to find the reg that says your ADSB-out is allowed to not meet the standards when no airliners are around. My home airport is inside the SFO mode C veil but has no radar coverage down low.

Wow... I also have my WiFi adapter hooked up to display 2. Also get no TIS, just wx info from the WiFi. Now it makes sense! Hope they get this fixed with a software update.

UOTE=JohnAJohnson;1154808]Two problems with the ADS600-B (-013 ARINC)...

1. I never could get the Transmon to reliably send Mode 3A and BARO ALT to the ADS600-B. 25 PAPRRS and all but one had errors for both, usually greater than 30%. After swapping EVERYTHING, and rewiring completely, I installed an encoder with an RS232 out and fed BARO ALT directly to the ADS600-B, and sent the squawk code directly from my GTX327 to the ADS600-B. Removed Transmon, and it has performed flawlessly since. The Transmon is not as reliable as a direct connection and in my case, on my airplane, it just flat would not work reliably and was not a viable option. To elaborate, I tried everything, including swapping the Transmon, ADS600-B box, Transponder (GTX327), Transponder antenna, and running new RG400, relocating the transponder antenna, and rewiring the entire system, including installing new pins, and replacing the Transmon USB cable. All, no help.

2. Display 2 will not output TIS-B. I initially installed a Bluetooth Adapter on Display 1, and the Navworx WIFI Adapter on Display 2. No matter what, I couldn't get traffic out of the WIFI on Display 2. I talked to Navworx and was assured that if the Console showed traffic in the log, it is going to all three Display Ports. But I'm here to tell you that Display 2, while outputting FIS-B just fine, is not getting TIS-B. A software bug. There are a few of us that have found this out the hard way and if enough of us tell Bill about it, he might start believing it. To get around the problem, I had to install a selector switch. Here's how I ended up wiring the system: http://southshore.com/~jaj/avionics/NavworxWiring.pdf[/QUOTE]

When I get mine back from NavWorx, I'll have display 2 connected to my GRT via serial so I'll let you know if I get one or both!

Pretty sure I tested my GRT hooked up to display 2 on the ground.. If I remember correctly, it showed traffic through the simulator. I realize that's not a great test, but hopefully that's a good sign. Would really prefer the WiFi to work though...

QUOTE=recapen;1156220]When I get mine back from NavWorx, I'll have display 2 connected to my GRT via serial so I'll let you know if I get one or both![/QUOTE]

Pretty sure I tested my GRT hooked up to display 2 on the ground.. If I remember correctly, it showed traffic through the simulator. I realize that's not a great test, but hopefully that's a good sign. Would really prefer the WiFi to work though...

When I get mine back from NavWorx, I'll have display 2 connected to my GRT via serial so I'll let you know if I get one or both!

The simulator should be a fine check to determine the output of Display 1 and Display 2. Page 99 of the installation manual shows the GRT connected to Display 1, but footnote 12 says it can be connected to Display 2 as well. So right now, one or the other (GRT or WIFI) probably works, but I suspect not both. Good news is that one of the guys on the Beechtalk site says Navworx is aware of the problem and it'll be fixed with a software update.

I got an update

My unit is still in work awaiting parts - no estimate on repair date...although the response indicates that a repair of some sort is required.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Ralph,

any update on your status?

I sent my unit with a non-functional display port. Everything else worked. That was about two weeks ago. Bill was very communicative until this week, then he went into the silent mode again. Voice mail on first ring, not responding to email or voice mail.

I finally got a hold of him. He gave me his cell phone last summer, so I called it as a last resort. It appears that I'm in a similar situation. He confirmed the defect, he said parts were ordered and should arrive today or Monday.

I'm a little disappointed in that when I sent it in just before the AD fiasco, it got a clean bill of health. I won't speculate what happened.

He also confirmed that the Display Port 2 issue will be fixed in the next software release, but didn't confirm when it would be released.

I do find it interesting that he had to order parts for both Ralph's and my units. I would think he would stock a minimal level of parts for incidental repairs.

bob

My last update was on the 6th - haven't heard a peep since.

Agreed that ordering parts is interesting - you got more details than I did.

With everything else hanging off of the AD, I would think they're not selling or shipping anything - leaving plenty of time for customer service and communications...

Since we don't know what parts or their sourcing, there's nothing to know as to what's going on.

It's possible that the parts we're both waiting for will get us both fully compliant with the resultant AD - that's my hope and reason for cutting lots of slack in this case. Having to ship it back would not be a fun thing!

My .02....

Actually, since I switched the gps to my gtn650, Bill validated that I had nothing to be concerned about the AD.

Who knows what parts we are waiting on. I wish he would just be transparent. He would recover his business quicker if he did. It's hard to build and maintain trust is such a small community.

My 430W is wired to provide the GPS my Navworx box so I think the AD should not impact me from an operational standpoint. We will most likely need to update software to correct the SIL broadcast (in case the internal GPS is set up later) and fix the display 2 issues.

I agree communication is the key to maintaining a business in an environment like this!

I pulled the Navworx unit from my 172. I basically was getting no GPS, went back and forth with Bill a ton in Feb and early march... extremely helpful btw. Decided to send the unit to him and that was the last I heard... although it was signed for March 14th. My unit isn't one affected by the AD but maybe it needed parts too. Just find it strange he went from fantastic customer service to absolutely nothing over the last month.

Last night received an email from Bill that the GPS module of my unit was repaired and that it was going to be sent back today. Can only assume they're working a backlog of incidents and problems and playing catch up. I have a lot of empathy for what they're probably dealing with right now in regards to the FAA.

Thanks for the update Justin - good to know about activity.
Mine went in during early March as well...
Not holding my breath - but hoping for something soon!

Thanks for the update Justin - good to know about activity.
Mine went in during early March as well...
Not holding my breath - but hoping for something soon!

I don't care if I'm third or fourth in line. I understand that. I would just like for Navworx to be transparent and inform us of the status and set expectations.

I'm hoping that Ralph is next, and I'm right after him.

In the mean time, I'll be attempting to reach Bill by whatever methods available on a weekly basis.

Bob - let him know that we're all talking to each other, and know each others issues and timelines...maybe everyone can get updated with one contact - easier for him.

Justin will be letting us know when he actually gets his back for re-installation. That should trigger the who's next alert!

Bill did reply to my email request today. He acknowledged my unit was in the process of being repaired and tested. He ignored my request to set expectations on when I would receive the unit back. I'll ping him again the first of the week.

I talked with Bill today about my unit. It has been repaired and is on it's way back to me.

He said that the uart (drives the display ports) was bad. The delay was caused by the part originally used has been deprecated and is hard to find. He also mentioned that this was the first time he has had this part fail.

I asked about the Display Port 2 issue. He has a fix that he stated would apply to mine. He didn't state his plans to make the fix available to the masses.

I'll follow up this weekend or early next week on the re-installation and flight tests results.

I'm using my GTN650 as a gps source, so the AD doesn't have an immediate impact on me.

Bob,

Thanks for the update! Please let us know when it arrives and when you get it reinstalled so we'll know it is working properly. Also interested to see if it comes with new software - maybe some advance notice of the AD-induced changes.

Hopefully, we'll also hear from Justin as his unit was indicated as being en-route back to him.

Then, I should hear about mine!?

Have been busy with work so just got around to reinstalling my Unit yesterday. Unfortunately having the same outcome as I had before I sent the unit in (No GPS). I consoled in and took a series of screen shot of the configuration and will send that to Bill. Maybe its my antenna now but previously had two different shops test it with a known good antenna.

Justin,

Glad to hear you got your unit back!

Just to understand - it worked after initial install, quit working, been repaired, and still not working?

Have you tested it since it has been back in a known good environment?
I used another builder (on this forum) to test mine in his environment - with his working before and after mine was in there not working. That was my evidence to bill to get him to accept mine for repair!

If you haven't tried that yet, please do and let us know the results.

Have been busy with work so just got around to reinstalling my Unit yesterday. Unfortunately having the same outcome as I had before I sent the unit in (No GPS). I consoled in and took a series of screen shot of the configuration and will send that to Bill. Maybe its my antenna now but previously had two different shops test it with a known good antenna.

GPS antenna have active components in them. Garmin had problems with a whole batch of theirs. Mine died about two months after the warranty expired and had to be replaced. I suspect that's your most likely issue at the moment.

Bob

I received my ADS600-B back from an extended stay at Navworx. It quit displaying output last September. I sent it back then, but it was returned as no issues found after bench testing. The unit still didn't display any output.

After having correspondence will Bill, I sent it back again for him to personally test the unit. He confirmed that the display output was not functional. He also mentioned that the uart was a depricated part that took him awhile to find the part in stock. He stated that he has never seen this part fail before. This does raise a concern about future repairs, but then this is common today with electronic components.

I asked him about the known display port two bug not displaying traffic. He said he would apply the fix. He also swapped my original wifi module with a newer module at no charge.

The unit is technically out of warranty, so while it took an inordinate amount of time to get repaired, I'm pleased that it didn't cost me anything.

I am still unable to get display port two to work with the wifi module and WingX. I'm still working with Bill on this issue.

We'll see on the flight to breakfast tomorrow how it works with live traffic and weather.

Just installed unit that I bought last April-600exp. UAT indicator light remains on and gps no satellites icon remains red. All other inputs are working normal and icons are green. Antenna brand new, tested normal with dmv, installed on friends Navworx unit and worked normal. I assume with the indicator light remaining on there is an internal error. Sent email yesterday and Bill Moffit replied within ten minutes. Good sign. Said to test antenna, which we did, all normal. Sent another email today and waiting for response. Reading previous posts sounds like there have been similar problems with internal gps. Will keep forum updated when I hear something unless someone has any ideas. Did numerous reboots to no avail.
Thanks
John

Just to understand - it worked after initial install, quit working, been repaired, and still not working?

After initial install it worked for a good year and a half. Then it started dropping GPS signal intermediately and around December or so stopped working completely. During annual the radio shop took a look at it couldn't get a GPS signal even after trying a known good cable/antenna. A few months ago my on field shop tried another known good antenna with the same results.

That's when I sent it in... Now it's back, having the same issue... not sure what to do at this point other than having another cable/antenna test.

Justin,

Is your unit a 112/113 or 012/013? Trying to determine if your issue is with the 'FAA Approved' internal GPS.

Looks like John Roser has a known good environment as a different unit worked in his plane. I also had my unit installed in a known good environment to verify my unit was bad. Might be a good idea to check with someone with a known good environment to test your unit in - since it just came back from service...we're assuming that they did a full test series before they shipped it to you.

I have a good antenna from my old GX60 that I will be using to test the internal GPS when it comes back as well - just to make sure all parts work as advertised. I also have my unit wired for a second display and will be testing that as well.

I expect to hear from Bill soon letting me know that my unit is on its way back to me as my unit went to him in early March. When I get mine back and working properly, I'll volunteer to test other boxes for folks - as others have done for me!

Justin,

Is your unit a 112/113 or 012/013? Trying to determine if your issue is with the 'FAA Approved' internal GPS.

Ralph-

This is an ADS600-B (PN 200-0113-01-03) installed on a certified 172, so I don't believe it's affected by the AD. However I'm sure it uses the exact same parts. If someone is somewhere close to Oklahoma I'd be more than up to flying to their field and doing the swap test. Doesn't take a lot to convince me to go flying!

You're right at this point I'm assuming the unit had it's GPS module and was tested before they sent it back to me. So for now going to look at the configuration, antennas and what not. Whenever I get caught up in a troubleshooting loop I tend to start over, so I'm going to buy some new cables, swap those... buy a new antenna (Could us it on my 10 project) and try that.

I want to verify my configuration settings first. Here's what I currently have in there. Assuming Transmitter Control Panel is correct since that's green. GPS Source I tried both the setting shown below as well as one that was started with 'ADS-B+'.. thought I took a screenshot but guess I didn't. Anyhow I would think this is correct since I'm using a 600-B and it's assuming compliant internal GPS.

TRANS-MON refers the the device wrapped around your transponder antenna cable - it picks up the squawk and altitude transmitted over Mode C - your transponder must be in ALT mode for this to work (and transmitting)...and if you're using 'good' coax, there's a chance it might not pick up a signal consistently. The TRANS-MON has been the subject of other installation issues - you can search through these forums and find some more details. From what you have provided, I don't think this is your issue....

The 'ADS-B+' comes from a 430W (or similar device) via a serial connection. Your selection of "Compliant GPS" should be referring to the internal GPS....I don't remember the pull-down menu and the manual is not very specific in the details department here!

I found that I needed to either pull the plane outside the hangar or remote my GPS antenna for my 430W in order to get the Lat-Long to green-up. I used an extension coax cable to route my antenna outside when I was testing.

Mine responded with "READY FOR FLIGHT" in green but had a yellow TX/RX error box next to it. I sent it to another NAVWORX owner that has a known good infrastructure - and it didn't work there either - so I know at a minimum it was inside my box.

Hope this helped - instead of being ramblings of my installation.

Want mine back soon so I can get it in and working!

Ralph-

This is an ADS600-B (PN 200-0113-01-03) installed on a certified 172, so I don't believe it's affected by the AD. However I'm sure it uses the exact same parts. If someone is somewhere close to Oklahoma I'd be more than up to flying to their field and doing the swap test. Doesn't take a lot to convince me to go flying!

You're right at this point I'm assuming the unit had it's GPS module and was tested before they sent it back to me. So for now going to look at the configuration, antennas and what not. Whenever I get caught up in a troubleshooting loop I tend to start over, so I'm going to buy some new cables, swap those... buy a new antenna (Could us it on my 10 project) and try that.

I want to verify my configuration settings first. Here's what I currently have in there. Assuming Transmitter Control Panel is correct since that's green. GPS Source I tried both the setting shown below as well as one that was started with 'ADS-B+'.. thought I took a screenshot but guess I didn't. Anyhow I would think this is correct since I'm using a 600-B and it's assuming compliant internal GPS.

Assuming that it was tested properly and the GPS was working, it looks like it may be an antenna issue. However, my unit was returned as operational with a failed display port. It wasn't until I spoke with Bill directly and he assured me that he would personal test the unit that the actual root cause was discovered. It was a bad serial port.

Are there any useful messages on the Reports: Status screen? I would think that your either seeing LAT/Long or some type of error message.

bob

Reports just scrolled 0's.

Do you have another GPS in the aircraft? If so, you may be able to temporarily swap antenna if the other antenna is supported by Navworx.

Which brand and model of GPS antenna do you currently have on the Navworx? I think I may have mentioned it earlier, but Garmin had a large failure rate on their GA 35. It was limited to a certain time period, which I can't recall at the moment. Mine failed just after the warranty expired.

Update on my 600-exp gps status config issue.
Appears to be an internal issue. No power at gps sma connector on the box itself.
Bill Moffit has been very responsive to my emails and diagnosing my issue. Box sent for repair.
Again, my unit was purchased last May and just installed last week. In light of all that is happening with Navworx, my confidence is becoming renewed.

Update on my 600-exp gps status config issue.
Appears to be an internal issue. No power at gps sma connector on the box itself.
Bill Moffit has been very responsive to my emails and diagnosing my issue. Box sent for repair.
Again, my unit was purchased last May and just installed last week. In light of all that is happening with Navworx, my confidence is becoming renewed.

How were you able to reach him? I have sent e-mails that are not responded to! I have a unit in there for repair since March.

ID incorrect

Has anyone had a situation where they program the 600 EXP with their N number and then the compliance report shows no ID being sent?
I got a nasty letter from Houston FAA saying my ID was missing. One paragraph said we believe you are using a portable transmitter. I have no idea where or how they got data to suggest that.
And my GPS solution must be pretty accurate, since they tracked me down from radar returns in class B airspace.
Anyway, if you have had any experience with confirming the N number (ICAO code) being broadcast incorrectly... post a reply. Thanks !

Back