What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

page 24-05, parts don't match drawing

kritsher

Well Known Member
On page 24-05 (I have the rev dated 10/26/11) it clearly shows three snap bushings (SB375-4) going into three holes in the flange at the bottom of F-1207D-L. However, my F-1207D-L only has two holes.

What are these snap bushings for? (I don't have the finish kit yet, so looking ahead in my plans provided no info.)

Do I need three of them, or is two sufficient? Do I need to drill a third hole?

Thanks!

Those bushing are for wires and tubing. My RV-12 only has 2 holes for the Dynon D-180. I do not know if the Skyview system needs more bushings or not. If it will not weaken the structure (doubtful), I would go ahead and drill a third hole. You can insert a bushing into the 3d hole later if needed.

Third Bushing

The drilling of the third hole and adding the third bushing is shown in drawing 42D-11

It is part of the skyview upgrade.

The drilling of the third hole and adding the third bushing is shown in drawing 42D-11

It is part of the skyview upgrade.

My kit #66 only has two holes in both of the 1207D R and L. I drilled the third hole on the LEFT 1207D as called for in 42D-11 for the skyview update since it is much easier to do at this point in the construction of the fuselage.

Looking closely at the picture there are also three holes in the 1207D-R in the drawing in 42D-11. Do I need to drill an additional hole in 1207D R? My version only has two holes in the 1207D- R

Trying to save myself some extra work later.

Jeff

Drilling info for the third hole

Ken & Jeff ... I just went through this not long ago. Basically, the additional hole is for the ADS-B antenna wire which is now included in the wiring kit from Van's. Here is a link to my Blog that will be very helpful for you to determine the placement of the third hole in the panel base. By clicking on the photo you can read the third hole location positioning on the drawing.

http://www.dogaviation.com/2014/03/ads-b-wiring-f-1202b-requires-extra-hole.html

UPDATE: Guys please disregard the above … I incorrectly though the panel base was being talked about … should have gone out to the shop prior to posting to avoid foot in mouth syndrome.

For what it is worth, my F-1207D-L already had the three holes in it, all equally spaced. However, above them the new F-1016HX ADS-B antenna cable bracket is attached per figure 2 on section 53-08 of the plans … this allows for the BNC connector on the ADS-B antenna cable to be routed through. Here is a link to a photo of the assembly prior to riveting. Looking closely one can see the three holes in question and the F-1016HX bracket.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-75_yfnWQMsk/UwA7bP-WqmI/AAAAAAAAGy8/93l8MLaWAdM/s1600/DSC06473.JPG

My apologies for the incorrect information in my original post.

Happy building,

Last edited:
For what it is worth, my F-1207D-L already had the three holes in it, all equally spaced.

Hi John... Thanks for going the extra mile. OK I will go ahead and drill a third opening in both 1207D stiffeners.

Thanks,
Jeff

For what it's worth. I got my fuselage kit last Dec. and even though the plans show 3 small holes mine had one small hole and one large hole.

Jim

Back