What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To wax or not to wax, that is the question

Bigsteve

It's been 9 months since I picked up my slsa. Should I wax it ? I've been using mild dish soap & water which works fine except on the bottom of fuselage. I figure the wax might help the belly repell the grime. Any thoughts ? If i do wax it, what product should I use to remove the grime on the belly before waxing the virgin paint and what wax would be best, Thanks

Simple Green Extreme (aviation version, not hardware store kind) works really well to clean grease off the belly. I can't speak to the wax question.

I have always been told, and have read, that dish soap should not be used since it will take off any wax present.

As for cleaning the belly, a product called Oil Eater works well. Supposedly biodegradable, non toxic, and non corrosive. I imagine it takes wax off too but at least it's use is limited to the belly. Available at Walmart, and other fine establishments, I have used it for years.

When I moved my RV-12 to the airport I was approached by the salesman of "A-Glaze" with an amazing TV commercial style sales talk. I was quite sceptic and didn't buy. A few weeks later he asked me if he could do just a part of the leading edge.
After the next flight to a grass strip my plane was covered in fresh grass and had bugs all over. The part done with A-Glaze was completely clean!

It is not a wax but a paint sealing polymer and should hold for at least three years. It takes you a day to apply the A-Glaze but cleaning afterwards is so much easier.

It's a flying car.......

Use what you would use on your car.

I use standard wash/wax shampoo and a couple of times a year use a good quality wax.

Amazing how much dirt the wax brings off.

I have always been told, and have read, that dish soap should not be used since it will take off any wax present.

True statement. If you use anything dish related it's fine if you want to strip everything off, but you do have to rewax after using anything like dawn. You can also get a good strip using a clay bar but be very very careful. If you drop it, it's done. A clay bar will pick up gravel/rocks/sand etc and you'll ruin your paint.

If you want an amazing finish, this is the stuff we used on show cars.

http://www.zainostore.com

Rejex

I tried waxing my RV about 6 months after I had it painted, big mistake. The wax collects in the rivets, looks terrible.
Once I was able to get it clean I used Rejex, it's a polish not wax and does not leave any residue in the rivets.
Looks great and is very slippery. :D
For washing the plane I use aircraft wash from Sporty's (a gift), otherwise a good auto wash would do, just make sure it does not contain wax.
I second the Simple Green Aircraft for the belly, you can even cut it down with water if you wish.

I have been using Meguiars Quick Detailer (spray and mist-Maroon bottle) since I picked up my SLSA the end of August. Serial number 14. The stuff works great, no buildup and no additional washing needed. Robin 803-226-9536

I use Eagle One Superior Nanowax Spray. Purchased at most auto stores or at the Walmart Aircraft supply.

Works great

In terms of cleaning oil off the belly, I've had good success with WD-40. Seems counter-intuitive to use it as a cleaner, but it works - cuts right through the oil.

Zaino

True statement. If you use anything dish related it's fine if you want to strip everything off, but you do have to rewax after using anything like dawn. You can also get a good strip using a clay bar but be very very careful. If you drop it, it's done. A clay bar will pick up gravel/rocks/sand etc and you'll ruin your paint.

If you want an amazing finish, this is the stuff we used on show cars.

http://www.zainostore.com

Awesome product. I've used it for years. It's not wax. The best thing is the ease of use. It takes no effort to wipe after it dries and it's so slick our cat couldn't get on the cars. Their leather care products are excellent as well.

Back