What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

molex connectors

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
getting ready to wire the amp connectors that fit into the wing and fuselege. what are the wiring pros doing? is the square molex connector to wire connection ok with just the crimps or is soldering also recommended? and holy buckets are these little connectors expensive! i want to do it the best way the first time!

getting ready to wire the amp connectors that fit into the wing and fuselege. what are the wiring pros doing? is the square molex connector to wire connection ok with just the crimps or is soldering also recommended? and holy buckets are these little connectors expensive! i want to do it the best way the first time!

Crimps are just fine. Soldering will cause problems down the road unless they are well strain relieved.

There's a section in the front of the RV-12 build manual that talks about working with these connectors. I learned quite a bit from it.

Jim

WEATHER PAK

I used the water tight black weather pack connector that used in a lot of off road trucks. They're reasonably priced come in anywhere from 2 up to 6 connectors (More if you really hunt), they are weather tight, snap together and easy to crimp.
Mine came out really clean....

When I originally built mine, I soldered every connection (to the pins in the connectors - intention was for high reliability). That worked just fine for 11-12 years. Only one bad connection in my engine monitoring system a month or so after completion.

Was it worth the effort? No. Use the right crimping tool and learn to use it. In the last 3 years I've essentially rewired my whole plane since with crimped Molex and circular connectors with no issues.

Bryan

thanks all. i have only crimped sub d connectors in the past . guess the same is true for the molex. i only wondered because the molex is still pretty thin metal and carries current for #18 wire. pretty big stuff.

Back