What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14 - Page 13-02 Step 3 Question

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi,

Today I was clamping the wing box J channels onto the Spar flanges to do the match drilling. On the top flange the two pieces J channel nested perfectly. On the lower flange of the left wing when I nested the "short" J channel on top of the "long"J channel the "short" channel sat proud by .094".

I tried another piece of J channel and ended up with the same result. If I maintain a minimum edge distance 1/16" on both J pieces am I ok to continue? Will there be any interference with wing skin or the rib if I continue? Should I trim the J channel down?

Thanks Jim
2hgeadf.jpg

Last edited:
I think my overlapping jchannel sat up a little bit where the pieces overlap and it did not make a difference when the jchannels were inserted between the ribs and skin.

Do you best to have them nest but you will be ok.

Thanks, when I checked the scrap pieces of J channel profiles they weren't perfect. Just wanted to make sure my thought process was correct and I wouldn't have any "fit" issues come time to inserting them.

just remember to be careful which pieces of j-channel you cut. check out "the gotchas" page. otherwise you might be ordering more j channel from vans.

chek 2 gotchas

gotcha for no drill holes next to nut plate holes and which J channel to cut for the short pieces.

I got a quick email back from Van's recommending maintaining the1/16" edge on both j channels. If there is excess material after nesting, just trim. They mentioned that the J channels bends are done at the same time which causes variation in the flange depth.

I was aware of the gotcha's for the drilling. thanks

Another suggestion

I just ran into the same issue with only one set of J-Channels. Something that Ken suggested when I called Van's that makes sense is to just drill one piece, and then unclamp and clamp the other one and drill that separately. Since they don't end up living on the Spar itself, this makes sense. Make sure you keep the 1/16" and it will all work out. Makes more sense to me than trimming which was originally what I was thinking as well.

The bigger gotcha is which J Channel to cut. If you cut the wrong one, you will be ordering more J Channel for the Outboard Leading Edge or the Fuel tanks. Remember you have the J Channel for both sides of the wing, the Outboard Leading Edge and the Fuel Tanks. I would spend a little time making sure you cut the right one. Several people had to order new J Channels, including yours truly. Good luck.

I got a quick email back from Van's recommending maintaining the1/16" edge on both j channels. If there is excess material after nesting, just trim. They mentioned that the J channels bends are done at the same time which causes variation in the flange depth.

I was aware of the gotcha's for the drilling. thanks

Back