What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fiberglass wingtips

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
installation instructions for the wingtip call for proseal on the lower joint to the aluminum wing tip. is everybody ''gluing'' this joint? is proseal the best choice?

Choose wisely

Bob ? I have been holding off doing the wing tips until such time as the glass work for the canopy is being done, so can?t offer personal experience here. Will say ProSeal is truly tenacious stuff, flexible to a degree after full cure and paintable.

That said, should you choose to use a product other than ProSeal aside from having good adhesion, it should be paintable and not corrosive to the aluminum. I would avoid a true silicone. Some formulations of silicone sealants miss both marks ? think silicone calking with the ammonia smell. Typically, paint and silicone's don?t play well together.

installation instructions for the wingtip call for proseal on the lower joint to the aluminum wing tip. is everybody ''gluing'' this joint? is proseal the best choice?

I had the same question for sealing the back window but after consulting a chemical engineer, the bottom line is that we have pro-seal at hand and most importantly, we know it will not corrode aluminum or attack plastic of fiber glass. Now if you are ready to do some research you surely will find better sealants for this specific application.
To mitigate the mess when applying pro-seal between the window and the skins I used a large syringe with a plastic tip that I ground to make it flat on two sides (if it pierce through just wrap electric tape around). This allows to insert the tip between window and skin and just push the plunger. When finished throw the syringe away, it's only a couple of bucks!

Last edited:
Back