What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 rudder lock

farmerrd

I'm New Here
RV12 Friends,

Have any of you devised a simple rudder control lock? I am trying to fit Van's tow bar/control lock per their instructions without much success. I am convinced there must be a better, simpler way to lock the rudder. Any suggestions would be helpful. I am sure that in a strong(not even very strong) the rudder would suffer. Thanks Rod Daulton

Here is one idea. Do a search and you will find others.
CTT_4032-M.jpg

CTT_4038-M.jpg

Made from 1" PVC.

I am trying to fit Van's tow bar/control lock per their instructions without much success.

For me the tow bar works great. Light and small. Benefit is that it also works as a parking brake.
From what I remember is that when I drilled the first holes in the tow bar the fit wasn't perfect. By rotating the tubes 180* you will have another change.

If you make it so that it rests against the upper part of the rudder pedals, would it double as a "sort of" parking brake?

It is supposed to press on the upper part. If you make it correct it pushes both brakes. Works great and is really a good tow bar.

(add a picture next week)

It is supposed to press on the upper part. If you make it correct it pushes both brakes. Works great and is really a good tow bar.

(add a picture next week)
I meant Tony's rudder lock, not the Van's tow bar. My other unasked question would have been whether it's a good thing or not to leave pressure on the brakes by doing that, but if the Van's tow bar does it, well, unasked but still answered. :)

I used a standard available parking brake, it holds pressure against the wheel cylinders, but NOT the masters. Maybe a little less prone to leaking failure I thought..

If on Tony's design, you inserted a coupler (not glued) on the long piece back to the seat pan, you could have 2 lengths of pvc aft of it ready choose to either connect it to the pedals as shown or up to the brakes, using the longer piece. I think I'll do that! The towbar solution is kind of awkward, but then again I usually carry the towbar with me anyway. The pvc will be an extra pound or so.

Back