What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps Reflex Position and Vertical Power

Bootscooter

Hi All,

On the Vertical power you can set the flaps as follows:

Reflex position to the top position, the 0 deg to the first stop, approach flaps to the 2nd stop, and landing flaps to the bottom stop.

Does anyone happen to have these figures to plug into the vertical power for the RV14/A??

Rgs Chad

Last edited:
Hi All,

On the Vertical power you can set the flaps as follows:

Reflex position to the top position, the 0 deg to the first stop, approach flaps to the 2nd stop, and landing flaps to the bottom stop.

Does anyone happen to have these figures to plug into the vertical power for the RV14/A??

Rgs Chad

You can't use other people's settings. Because of the variables in how you mount the Ray Allen sensor, the actual resistance measurements will vary from aircraft to aircraft. All you need to do is get a digital level, set the flaps to the position you want for each VPX setting, note value and enter it into the VPX console application.

Just to clarify
The Ray Allen position sensor is positioned as per section 54 of the construction manual for the RV-14. ie as per the plans.

This still doesn?t tell me if this is the reflex or zero position.

I also wouldn?t mind knowing from those of that have gone before me what sort of figures they have found to have worked for them.

Thanks Chad

Just to clarify
The Ray Allen position sensor is positioned as per section 54 of the construction manual for the RV-14. ie as per the plans.

This still doesn?t tell me if this is the reflex or zero position.

I also wouldn?t mind knowing from those of that have gone before me what sort of figures they have found to have worked for them.

Thanks Chad

I'll have to caveat that I have a RV-10, but since we share a similar wing and empennage, I'll give you the RV-10 answer.

reflex is when the flaps are even with the bottom of the fuselage

0 degrees is when the flaps are in the same plane surface as the wings. i.e. place a level on the wing and the level is sitting flush against the wings and flap.

When you move from 0 to the reflex position you should see -3 degrees on your level.

There are too many variables with the sensor that I won't go into details here. You really need to make the mechanical measurements first, then read the value of the sensor. Don't do it the other way around.

In the plans section for mounting the flaps to the wing it describes setting the reflex angle. When adjusted properly there will be a seven degree angle between the top of the flap and the edge of the entrance to the cockpit.

Back