What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall control cable locations

Gil, I did the same thing on my -6. The call outs on the -7 plans is what I used. The locations are not critical and I see no reason you couldn't move them slightly. It may affect the cable length though. My standard throttle cable length is tight but works fine.

For a -6A, but following the 7/9 firewall plans - question here -

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=887899&postcount=1

Gil, I used the RV-7A callouts for Throttle, Carb Heat, mixture, and Cabin heat on my vertical induction O-360A1A with no issue at all. The only problem I ran into was the position of the boost pump bolts. I used the position from the Plans, and the lower bolt interfered with the engine mount. I had to reverse the bolt and put the head on the engine side. Done again, I would move the pump at least 1/2" higher.

I now have an engine hung and have marked my firewall with the RV-7 layout. It looks like my 44.5" throttle cable will fit well, but the 45" mixture cable looks like it might be a bit short. It is hard to tell if it will work without drilling the hole first and I didn't do that yet (engine is coming off soon).

Can someone advise on whether or not the 45" Mixture cable will work with the RV-7 firewall location and mixture cable mounted below the Inst. Panel instead of the plan locations on the vertical console? I am using the Van's bracket to hold the cable.

I have an RV-6 with an O-320 updraft carb.

Thanks,

Larry

My set up...

Was done by the guys at Chandler Air service, and has worked well. I'd be happy to fly down there and let you make measurements. I've been looking for an excuse to head down south again.
(6A, 0360-A1A, fixed Sensenich)
Bill

For my RV-6 O-360 A1A: I have the engine controls below the panel on the same plane as the panel (I guess in the -7 they are set back from the face of the panel a bit.

The mixture fit great, the throttle cable from the kit wasn't long enough. I ended up using an RV-10 throttle cable that was just right.

Edit:
Added a picture for reference.
FP29072014A0012K.jpg

Last edited:
There's no reason you can't run throttle, mixture, and carb heat thru one hole. I did this on my Rocket and it made for a much cleaner install that is easier to fireproof.

Back