What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Enlarged hole problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkie

Well Known Member
So I was attempting to rivet HS-404 to HS-702 to HS-405 tonight. The very first rivet wasnt set all the way when I started to hit it with the gun, so I had to drill it out. Somehow I went through 404, 405, and 702. Should I order a new spar and 2 new ribs???

IMG_1122.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What diameter hole would you have to create to encompass the entire drilled out oblong hole? I am not familiar with the -7, but could you substitute a larger rivet by drilling the hole out. Would it give you enough edge clearance in the rib?

5/16" I won't have edge distance on either rib. I'm screwed. Gotta order the spar and ribs. It really sucks that a stupid mistake like this on my part is gonna cost so much more than just a few $$$. I'm so frustrated.

If you clean up the edges of that hole, you could probably put a doubler on the back side of the boogered hole big enough to capture a rivet above and below and then just abandon that hole. Send photo to Van's. There is always a way to fix it.

Send the photo to Vans and see what they say. You may be able to drill out the spar hole to 5/16 and leave it empty. Then use -3 rivets on either side of the hole. It's hard to tell from your photo. Someone else with a lot more experience than I may jump in. The other holes looked a little rough, are you de-burring them properly?

Thanks guys. I sent an email to vans. I am deburring properly. I drilled out a few rivets and scuffed up the primer. That's why they look that way.

Rivet removal tool

Get a rivet removal tool. Helps a lot, makes the job of rivet removal a lot faster and accurate. Can't get it on a rivet in tight spaces but mine's paid for itself many times over. I have a 5- rivet in one of those holes...
I'll send you a PM.

Last edited:
As mike suggested, buy that tool. You can gain a bit more access by chucking it up in your die grinder. Don't chuck it in a 90 deg drill with an adaptor or you will ruin your drill as they where not made for the weight and side load.
I can think of very, very few reasons to ever drill past the head of the rivet. If you do, you will ruin the hole, every time.
The EAA has a good video showing technique and AC-43-1b describes the procedure. Search the posts for other threads. After you remove a few thousand rivets, you refine your technique!
And yes, everyone at one time or another has probably done this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back