What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you know when you're done?

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I've just written a new piece on the nature of the last stage of RV construction, when you start redoing things and making changes on stuff and decisions you've already done.
Still, you'll be face a challenge when you get near the end a project and here's why: You'll realize there are things you could have done better and you'll be tempted to do them again and there are things you wish you'd done.

In avionics, this is a constant problem but here's the secret: No matter what you put in your instrument panel, you'll find a thing you could have put in it instead when the next monthly issue of your favorite aviation magazine comes in the mail. Get used to it and ignore it. If you're building your airplane just to impress someone else, maybe you're building an airplane for all the wrong reasons.

I'm interested in hearing your late-construction tales when faced with plowing ahead or building some more.

Of course, you are never really done. Every one I know flying is still thinking about or making changes.

It's like the nesting instinct, Bob.....

....so we fine tune the airplane to our liking as time and money allows:)

In the -6A, we added an SL-40 a year later, then a TruTrak ADI II two years after that. Now the new owner replaced the steam gauges with glass.

My -10 had a Garmin 430W added this winter and an HS-34. By Fall, it'll sport a new TruTrak Gemini for coupled approaches....see....like the nesting instinct a new wife goes through, making her new home, HER new home:p

Best,

I chose to fly when it was airworthy and safe. The rest is fluff!!!

I added wheelpants and fairings after it was flying.

Paint is not done and there is still allot of prep to do to the glass work before paint can be done.

I have already changed GPS's and added additional avionics and servos....

Some people would die before they would fly unless the airplane is 110% finished.

Others never consider them finished.

I will most likely be one of the later. I can see where I will be finishing this thing years from now.
Maintenance after flying is another major task and time sucker...I already have a baffle crack that I am going to have to fix and I am not even out of Phase I yet....(the new baffles have not solved the oil cooler mount cracking problem)

When I'm dead or lose my medical

Bob refining the design for more speed is enough to keep me working until I can't do it anymore. The speed carrot is a good one to keep you focused an striving for excellence of the airplane in one area of performance. It is not for anyone else and when my testing shows an honest increase of one knot the bond between between me and my airplane gets ever deeper and tighter. Knots are the tie that binds.

If you have that focus as you build these wonderful multifunction airplanes the deviations are minimized. If you build and just have this general heady feeling of wonder about this dream airplane that you will own someday, you will flit around and get lost in the process.

Bob Axsom

I have a mental list of "things that have to be complete in order for the airplane to fly safely". It probably should be written down, but it is not that big of a list. The airplane flies when that list is complete - and I don't let the list change as the program reaches some never-to-be-attained "end" because, well...it's not attainable!

the Val has had numerous panel upgrades (both HW and SW) in the 4.5 years it has been flying. heck, we put an entirely new panel in Mikey a couple years go, after it had been flying 18 years. So yup - I agree with those who say that it is never finished.

But...you CAN define when it is flyable. All essential systems must be complete and acceptable - not perfect. Perfection is the hobgoblin of those who wish to complete something. Yes, "good enough" is good enough! How do you know what that is? Consult a tech Counselor, A&P, or someone that has finished an airplane before. Get them to write you a list of what needs to be done to get it flying. Work of the list, and get ready for the DAR.

Glad to hear that you must at least THINK that you're getting close enough to worry about it Bob!

Paul

I chose to fly when it was airworthy and safe. The rest is fluff!!!

I added wheelpants and fairings after it was flying.

Paint is not done and there is still allot of prep to do to the glass work before paint can be done.

I have already changed GPS's and added additional avionics and servos....

Some people would die before they would fly unless the airplane is 110% finished.

Others never consider them finished.

I will most likely be one of the later. I can see where I will be finishing this thing years from now.
Maintenance after flying is another major task and time sucker...I already have a baffle crack that I am going to have to fix and I am not even out of Phase I yet....(the new baffles have not solved the oil cooler mount cracking problem)

Believe this, mine did the crack thing on the oil cooler baffle seam. I went and used the .45 wire and went from the baffle above the cylenders to the back of the cooler, did this in 3 spots down the cooler. I joined the wire to the baffle above the cylenders with an bolts. This has held up nicely for over 200hrs now, I was going to do something else and replace this setup, but it's working nicely, so why change something that is working. easy fix. Wait until the FAB brakes at the air alt door or the plate that hooks to the carb. There is a fix for that also.
\
My plane will never be finished, thus the name experimental. I just fixed my elevators after 300hrs. I have about a 1/4 total, 1/8 on each side mismatch between the two sides, vans said it was ok and would effect anything. Wrong, after welding up the hole on the right side I redid the hole and now it doesn't have the difference as much between 130kts and 165kts on aileron trim.

I am constantly doing something to the aircraft, still working on pants, eek what a job. I still have an auto pilot to get in it. Lots of small stuff that doesn't mean anything really, maybe in looks, but who cares it flys.

Last edited:
hahahahahaha...

Bob,

You are never done! There will always be changes you want to make. Need has almost nothing to do with it.

To where its airworthy

Like everybody else I would like to have the latest glass components and an autopilot. I am putting the basic instruments in for now while allowing for the upgrades later. I will fly on the basic gauges through phase 1 and then upgrade as the dollars become available for the glass and autopilot. Mine will be a VFR only setup. Everybody asks me when my plane will be done and I tell them when I can come up with $15,000. I want to fly before then.

I wish I had the patience that some people have. They are able to do very high quality work. Truly artists! Myself, I am a self admitting hacker. Yep, I drew a straight line between construction and flight. I haven't deviated much so far. Mine is not the prettiest example of an RV, its airworthy though (almost). It also isn't taking me forever to build it. I reckon my first flight will occur before 1050 build hours and about 16 or 17 months.

Once I get flying my list of items to do and redo is very long. I will be working on cosmetic stuff for a long time I figure.

PLEASE DON'T LOOK AT MY PLANE WITH A MICROSCOPE!

you are done if

you sell it or die, that's about it...

I've just written a new piece on the nature of the last stage of RV construction, when you start redoing things and making changes on stuff and decisions you've already done.
Still, you'll be face a challenge when you get near the end a project and here's why: You'll realize there are things you could have done better and you'll be tempted to do them again and there are things you wish you'd done.

In avionics, this is a constant problem but here's the secret: No matter what you put in your instrument panel, you'll find a thing you could have put in it instead when the next monthly issue of your favorite aviation magazine comes in the mail. Get used to it and ignore it. If you're building your airplane just to impress someone else, maybe you're building an airplane for all the wrong reasons.

I'm interested in hearing your late-construction tales when faced with plowing ahead or building some more.

It is not even done when you sell it! I often get calls from gentlemen that now own my airplanes. They wonder how they could change something, or what do you do when... happens, etc, etc. It is fun to know that the planes are still flying and providing enjoyment, but you are still part of an airplane that you build. You are after all, the manufacturer.

Tough question

You know Bob, that is a tough question. I'd have to say it is done when you have installed everything you intended to, it is working and you can simply push the plane in and out of the hangar. From there it is all daily inspections and maintenance.

Getting to that point is the hard part. During the last couple of months of construction I lived with lists. I kept a pad and pen in my car, night stand, end table where I watch TV, in the shop and where ever else I loitered for more than 5 minutes. I wrote down everything I needed to do. Worked great.

Bob,

You are never done! There will always be changes you want to make. Need has almost nothing to do with it.

Me:

- flying since 2002
- interior still not finished
- starting fourth panel incartation :eek:

I'm in the 'never done' camp, and glad. Tweeking all the time is fun, kinda like building but without all the nicks and cuts.

Hi Bob,
I thought I was done that January day in 2009 when Mary and I took off from Fleming Field headed for sunny Florida. But as others have noted, there always seems to be something I want to improve/change/learn and I am really enjoying it. I saved up a few items for the first condition inspection last November just so I would not take the airplane out of service more than necessary. I am already thinking about some changes that I will tackle during the next condition inspection. I thought I had my avionics down pretty well by the end of Phase 1, but I have learned tons more in the past year and a half. I am very comfortable IFR in the airplane now. I did not fly it in IMC conditions for at least the first six months. It has been lots of fun and very interesting being a beta tester for some of the Vertical Power software. I will probably install the P-Mags when and if they ever become available for the six cylinder engines.
In short, there is no end in sight! :)

I finished with all the constructions pages in the builder's manual today. Now on to preflight and flight test. I feel like I am done! Of course, lots of little stuff to do, but as one poster put it, "just maintenance".

I will be done at first flight (with 2 items unsure)

Maybe I am an odd one out here! I am "going to the arfield" next friday. I will put her together and only have two items on my "to finish list" that may have to be done after first flight.
  • I am not sure about the transmision quality of the SL30. Maybe it has something to do with the Dynon alarms, also on the same input. I left this "problem" to be sorted after first flight, because I was not sure if it was still going to be a real problem in the open air.
  • I was thinking of a foldable armrest that doubles as a "center step", to get in. I left this one to after I get used to getting in and out (will I need a "step" at all?) and after I am flying (will I need an armrest at all? or is it only going to limit the cockpit space?).
For all the rest, the plane will be totally ready, painted, finished, carpeted, etc. at first flight (and it sure should be after more than 3.200 hrs of shop time!)

Hope to fly next month or so (and not have to spend anymore time in the shop "tweeking" either!). I need to go flying !

Regards, Tonny.

[*]I was thinking of a foldable armrest that doubles as a "center step", to get in. I left this one to after I get used to getting in and out (will I need a "step" at all?)

We use color coordinated "hand" towels on the leather seats to step on. I got this idea from another RV pilot. And good to see it's painted. An unpainted RV is either a long way or a lot of dollars from being done! :D

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Back