What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix Echo UAT + SkyFYX GPS or SkyFYX-EXT

mantry

Well Known Member
Howdy, any feed back on which flavor of Echo UAT + GPS is preferred? I do not have a WAAS GPS source currently on board. I'm hoping to NOT have to run any additional wires/coax from behind the panel to the rear of the aircraft. I'm out of POWER TAPS on my fuse blocks and taps on the Ground blocks. So this has mean leaning to a simple small installation for ADSB-OUT.

By way of info: NO EFIS only Dynon D10A, Garmin GTX320A transponder, No WAAS GPS.

Looks to me that the way to go is uAvionix Echo UAT with a suitable GPS source. uAvionix has 2, their SkyFYX GPS and their SkyFYX EXT. I spoke with Ryan today at uAvionix (Thanks Ryan!!!!) and I mentioned that I would like to mount the GPS on the engine side of the firewall and I liked the idea of the SkyFYX EXT for simplicity. I think if he had a preference that he would have gone with the SkyFYX GPS which means an additional box under the panel and run coax to the GPS antenna where ever it is mounted. He said they are both rated for the engine compartment.

Any comments or reasons to NOT go with the SkyFYX EXT and mounted it on the motor mount on a small shelf and just run PWR-GRND-SIGNAL on simple wires? It would only be a less than 24" wire run.

Plus if you went with the SkyFYX GPS and mounted it in the engine compartment wouldn't you then have to make sure you had the 10' of coiled RG400 to stuff somewhere?

What about mounting either the GPS or EXT actually ON the glare shield? I'm not sure I like the idea of the white and I know there is controversy painting GPS antennas, but I guess you could cover it loosely with some black felt or something.

Thanks in advance folks!

PS: I use FlyQEFB on an iPad for ADSB-IN viewing..

Last edited:
GPS antenna placement

I painted my GA-56 antenna with spray paint and see no loss in signal. The components are rated for engine compartment temps, but I suggest a cooler spot for the longest life. Mine sits just in front of the bar on the glareshield, but you will find other threads discussing many places to put a GPS antenna. These are not official suggestions, just my experiences. I work a company that sells uAVionix UAT's and GPS receivers. We have had almost unanimous reports of good performance so far. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Back