What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FIREPROOF SEALANT

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
HOWDY TO ALL,
I can't remember where we purchased our fireproof sealant. I have some areas that need attention on the firewall.

Yeah...

Yeah, I had to look twice at the Home Depot stuff before I realized that it was LATEX.

Ordered the correct stuff on amazon...

Can 3M FIRE BARRIER 2000+ be substituted everywhere one would use Red RTV?

Depends on where you were using red RTV.

I use 3M FB2000 on firewall edges and penetrations, Permatrex Ultra Black (aka Loctite 598) almost everywhere else. Not as corrosive, highly oil-resistant, and lots better looking in an engine compartment.

I was wrong about the 2000 series but it is a 3M polyurethane orange foam fb. Not sure about its performance.

Depends on where you were using red RTV.

I use 3M FB2000 on firewall edges and penetrations, Permatrex Ultra Black (aka Loctite 598) almost everywhere else. Not as corrosive, highly oil-resistant, and lots better looking in an engine compartment.

Yeah, I was thinking about all the places Van's calls out for a Dab, such as down the edges of the SEET tubes to keep them from unraveling, or sealing around Baffles.

Thanks,
Lynn

You have to be careful choosing a fire barrier caulk. On my Lancair I used the stuff that came with my Firewall 2000 Ceramic Blanket kit - 3M, I think. Over the years, it ate into my engine mounts.

You have to be careful choosing a fire barrier caulk. On my Lancair I used the stuff that came with my Firewall 2000 Ceramic Blanket kit - 3M, I think. Over the years, it ate into my engine mounts.

John, can you identify the sealant?

John, can you identify the sealant?
I'm afraid not. I threw the tube out over twenty years ago. Here's what it did to my engine mount, though:

Ysozf2.jpg

I wire brushed it down to bare metal, determined that the damage was superficial only, primed it with red oxide primer, and top coated it.

Hmmm. I suspect latex sealant, or one of the acid cure silicones, but I'll have my cowl off today for a condition inspection in progress. I'll take a hard look at the FireBarrier 2000, now going on 9 years since installation, in a humid deep south climate.

Hmmm. I suspect latex sealant, or one of the acid cure silicones, but I'll have my cowl off today for a condition inspection in progress. I'll take a hard look at the FireBarrier 2000, now going on 9 years since installation, in a humid deep south climate.
Hi Dan,
Please report back if you see any sign of issues, I just used the same Fire Barrier 2000 to seal/adhere fiberfrax/stainless steel sheet to my firewall. It will not touch the engine mount but still would like to know if it has any corrosive affect on metal.

Hey Meherad,
My heart skipped a beat when I too read these last few posts. I checked the specs on Fire Barrier 2000+ and it is indeed a neutral curing silicone, so non corrosive. Specs, and statement that it is "neutral-cure" may be found below:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...one-Sealant-2000/?N=5002385+3293123941&rt=rud

The only negatives I could find with respect to corrosion were during the curing process. In one of the data sheets available the following statement is made:
"Note: In confined cure conditions, there may be discoloration of brass, copper or other sensitive metals."
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1364200O/3m-fire-barrier-silicone-sealant-2000.pdf

Apart from that the only other corrosion info on the product I could find was an old thread DanH contributed to on VAF:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=35016&page=2

Hope this helps you sleep better.

Tom.

Previously I said

Not the slightest sign of corrosion on anything. Maybe in another 9 years.

Back