What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Counter Balance Weight

CDBridgesRV7A

Good Day Folks,

Before I start riveting my right elevator together I have a question IRT the elevator counter balance weight. On my plans it says to remove part of the counter balance weight.

On DWG # 5, E-714 Trim Detail it says "5/8 (1/2 minimum) adjust dimensions as req'd to balace elevator. this dimension is only a starting point and accounts for the future possibility of paint".

Is it absolutely necessary to do this part now, or can I wait a few years until it is time to fit all the parts together to make a full airplane? I'm not quite sure how I would balance the elevator without the other elevator, wings, fuselage etc attached. If i can do it later, how easy will it be to un-screw the weight and remove it (I'm not planning on putting the fibreglass tips on until the very end)? If it is necessary to do it now, what tool do you use to trim these weights? (I don't have a band saw)

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris Bridges

Balancing the elevator has nothing to do with the wings, only the elevator itself. You can leave it for as long as possible but will not gain you any advantage that way.

depending on your planned configuration, if you are planning on painting the plane and if you are using an electric trim or manual.
With an electric trim and if you are going to paint the plane, I would trim the right side less then what the plan is calling for and leave the left side untrimmed. Also, I would rivet a #3 plate nut in the tooling hole of each elevator near the location where the weight gets mounted. This way you can add more weight if you must.

If you are not going to paint the plane, then I would trim per plan.

The lead can be cut with a standard hacksaw.

Is it acceptable to wait on the trimming?

Good Day Folks,

Before I start riveting my right elevator together I have a question IRT the elevator counter balance weight. On my plans it says to remove part of the counter balance weight.

On DWG # 5, E-714 Trim Detail it says "5/8 (1/2 minimum) adjust dimensions as req'd to balace elevator. this dimension is only a starting point and accounts for the future possibility of paint".

Is it absolutely necessary to do this part now, or can I wait a few years until it is time to fit all the parts together to make a full airplane? I'm not quite sure how I would balance the elevator without the other elevator, wings, fuselage etc attached. If i can do it later, how easy will it be to un-screw the weight and remove it (I'm not planning on putting the fibreglass tips on until the very end)? If it is necessary to do it now, what tool do you use to trim these weights? (I don't have a band saw)

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris Bridges

A couple people have asked the same question I am wondering, however I don't think it was answered. I am building my elevators and I plan on painting the plane when its done.

Does the right counter balance weight need to be trimmed now, or should I wait till the plane is done and painted?

A couple people have asked the same question I am wondering, however I don't think it was answered. I am building my elevators and I plan on painting the plane when its done.

Does the right counter balance weight need to be trimmed now, or should I wait till the plane is done and painted?

Don?t do anything until after paint.

On my first RV-8A I trimmed the weights to get a perfect balance. After paint I had to cut open the end of the fiberglass tip to add some lead shot mixed in an epoxy - so lesson learned. On the new style elevator weights drilling out a little lead after paint (if needed) is easy to do and easy to then repair the tiny paint issue.

When doing the balance, disconnect the elevator push tube so each elevator can be done separately.

On the RV-10 don?t touch the weights. The weights will never be enough to achieve balance and according to Van?s this is by design.

Carl

Don?t do anything until after paint.

On my first RV-8A I trimmed the weights to get a perfect balance. After paint I had to cut open the end of the fiberglass tip to add some lead shot mixed in an epoxy - so lesson learned. On the new style elevator weights drilling out a little lead after paint (if needed) is easy to do and easy to then repair the tiny paint issue.

When doing the balance, disconnect the elevator push tube so each elevator can be done separately.

On the RV-10 don?t touch the weights. The weights will never be enough to achieve balance and according to Van?s this is by design.

Carl
Alternatively as it has been suggested, add a couple of nutplates next to the elevator weight so you can bolt on more weight if you need to. Based on my experience, if you are going to paint and depending on type of paint, you will need to add weight to the elevators (both side). I believe I added about 5-6 oz of weight after the paint to bring each side to the balance.

Back