What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air to Air Photo Shoot

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
rv8h.jpg

Early Saturday morning I finally did an air to air photo shoot with Peter Lubig, a professional aviation photographer. We've been trying to make this happen since early this year, but something always got in the way - my schedule, his schedule, my aircraft U/S, his aircraft U/S, etc.

We briefed on the phone, then I got airborne just after 7 AM, after waiting for some low fog to move off. We rendezvoused overhead the airport at Peterborough, then did the photos. The results were definetly worth the wait. You can see a whole bunch more images from the session in the gallery on his site.

Last edited:
I'd say it was fortuitous that you had to wait Kevin - catching the start of the fall colors down below really makes the pictures pop! Beautiful shots.

Paul

My dad is a former F86 jock and good friends with Fern Villeneuve, the Golden Hawks leader. Those were great days we'll never see again. Their shows were legend- super close, tight and low, low. Nice tribute to the team Kevin. Gorgeous paint job!

I agree with all of the above. A lot of what makes General Aviation magic has been captured in that photo!

Photos

Beautiful airplane and outstanding photographs Kevin. I've followed you through the triumphs and setbacks of your build and I know that you're justifiably proud of the results. I rejoice with you!!!!

My dad is a former F86 jock and good friends with Fern Villeneuve, the Golden Hawks leader. Those were great days we'll never see again. Their shows were legend- super close, tight and low, low. Nice tribute to the team Kevin. Gorgeous paint job!
Fern lives somewhere near the St. Lawrence River, SW of Ottawa, as I understand it. He flys into Smiths Falls occasionally in his modified Swift. He chanced by one day when I was reassembling the aircraft after it had been painted. I introduced myself, and asked if I could show him my aircraft, without giving him any clue as to why I thought he might possibly be interested in it. He humoured me, and we went down to the hangar. He was very happy to see the aircraft in Golden Hawks colours, and kindly allowed me to take his photo next to the partially reassembled aircraft. He is real gentlemen, and is still going strong, even though he must be in his 80s.

Beautiful work Kevin! Your RV-8 looks/is amazing in those photos! I plan on doing the same thing after my airplane is painted. It's finally going to the paint shop on Monday! Can't wait. It's only been 4.5 yrs/580 hours later. :) See you and your beautiful airplane at the next fly-in!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Totally good looking airplane, Kevin.

Congrats on building it, flying it, and having it painted so gorgeously.

The Canadian air show airplanes must be F-86H's.

That 86 had quite a bit more umph with the General Electric J73-GE-3E at 9,070 lbs. thrust and came into being after the armistice in Korea. It would have been quite a MIG killer had it gotten into the war.

The image of the flight team brings back memories. I was never an air show pilot but I did fly the 86L just a little over 50 years ago.

It doesn't seem that long ago but when I look at the flight hand book about the only thing familiar is the stick and throttle so a lot of it is buried somewhere in my brain if its there at all anymore. I still have some ground school notes and for sure we had a blind test to ID all the cockpit switches. There were no 2 seat 86's at that time so the first time you blasted off it was solo and quite a shot of adrenalin. An instructor was right on your tail to talk you through any problems.

Those were good days....oh, to be young again. :)

Hi Kevin, I was parked close to you at AirVenture 2010 (Sloshkosh). I thought your RV had the most beautiful paint scheme then and it looks even better in the air!

Kevin,
Did Peter shoot these from his Pacer? I know him through my affiliation with Short Wing Pipers.
He is a very talented photographer, and I am looking forward to meeting him someday.

The Canadian air show airplanes must be F-86H's.

That 86 had quite a bit more umph with the General Electric J73-GE-3E at 9,070 lbs. thrust and came into being after the armistice in Korea. It would have been quite a MIG killer had it gotten into the war.
Actually, the Golden Hawk Sabres were made in Canada, and had a Canadian designed engine with more thrust than the J-47 used in most Sabres. Not as much thrust as the J73 in the F-86H though.

Kevin,
Did Peter shoot these from his Pacer? I know him through my affiliation with Short Wing Pipers.
He is a very talented photographer, and I am looking forward to meeting him someday.
Yeah, he was in his Pacer. Very pretty aircraft. He'd love to get an RV-6 though.

Fern lives somewhere near the St. Lawrence River, SW of Ottawa, as I understand it. He flys into Smiths Falls occasionally in his modified Swift. He chanced by one day when I was reassembling the aircraft after it had been painted. I introduced myself, and asked if I could show him my aircraft, without giving him any clue as to why I thought he might possibly be interested in it. He humoured me, and we went down to the hangar. He was very happy to see the aircraft in Golden Hawks colours, and kindly allowed me to take his photo next to the partially reassembled aircraft. He is real gentlemen, and is still going strong, even though he must be in his 80s.

That's very cool. My dad is 83 so I'm guessing Fern is somewhere around there too. They are both still flying which is cool too! My dad likes flying my 6A but his fave is still the Sabre- by far. Most people with F86 seat time say the same thing, no matter what else they've flown.

Wonderful Photo's

Hi Kevin

I've followed your trials and tribulations over the years and I'm glad for you that the 8 is working well and looks wonderful.....Have you had Sonny up in it yet? I hope to see you at Stanley in it some day.

Joe

Hi Kevin

I've followed your trials and tribulations over the years and I'm glad for you that the 8 is working well and looks wonderful.....Have you had Sonny up in it yet? I hope to see you at Stanley in it some day.
Hi Joe,

I got back to Yarmouth in June 2010 and took Dad and Mom up for a ride. They both really enjoyed it, and I was very surprised to have Mom ask for a loop and a roll, both of which she claimed to enjoy.

I had hoped to make Stanley this year, but it didn't fit in the schedule. My 2012 schedule is already jammed up around that date, but maybe Stanley 2013 will work.

Back