What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked fuel pump

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
Well, now I've done it... I got carried away tightening the fitting for the overflow hose, and cracked my fuel pump housing:

20080525_fuel_pump_crack2.jpg

I removed the pump from the airplane and now I'm trying to decide whether to send it somewhere to be repaired, or just buy a new one. Looking around online, the prices I'm seeing for overhauled pumps is close to the cost of a new one, but there may be a place to send it to that I don't know about. Any suggestions for whom to call?

As a side note, when I felt it go "pop" I had that sickening feeling that means "you just cost yourself a pile of money". Imagine my surprise to find out that a brand new pump is less than three hundred bucks... relatively cheap in airplane terms! (Oh Lycoming, how you have changed my idea of what an expensive part is...) Still made me mad at myself, and it was a pain to remove too. :mad:

thanks,
mcb

Better just replace it. Lesson learned.

I'm replacing mine becuse it quit while I was flying. That gets your attention.

Hi Matt

Always sucks to break things. If you are comfortable with taking the pump apart and trying to fix it, I think I have the piece you need in my parts pile. You can have it if you want to try.

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ
Fredericton, N.B. Canada

I don't see it for 212... it's $248, but that's still a good price.. Tempest is OK... worked fine for me..

Back