What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot Height Help..

Bradw04

I'm New Here
Hey guys, new here... Had a question.. I'm considering looking at an 6,7, or 8 to buy within the year.. I'm 6'5 which if any would fit me headroom and legroom wise the best? I'd really like to go with the 6 or 7 but I've heard they are a tight fit for anyone over 6' really.... Any help is appreciated thanks...

Probably OK

I am 6' 3-1/2" with most of my height in my torso (I have 32" inseam pants) - so I usually have a headroom problem in cars, etc.
In my -7 slider, I have no problems though. I use Classic Aero Design's Aviator seats with no booster cushions and the seatback set in the aft-most hinge position. The rudder bar is mounted in the forward-most position specified in the plans. I have used a 1" booster cushion before as a test, and I still fit (although the headroom was a minimum).

YMMV

unofficial welcome!

Hi Brad, great question.
I think you have to go sit in a few, and see what the options are.
many guys say they have no problem, I am 5'10" and use minimal cushions, but bang my head often...so go figure. ( am not a giraffe)

also, check out the 'almost a -14' mod at antisplat aero....it creates a more reclining position, thus more headroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMJKmUeMJHM

...or just go order an RV-14, I don't think you can possibly regret that!!!! :D

( I have no affiliation with ASA, just a fan!)

P.S. I have a -9a for sale, we'll make it fit you!!!

Hey guys, new here... Had a question.. I'm considering looking at an 6,7, or 8 to buy within the year.. I'm 6'5 which if any would fit me headroom and legroom wise the best? I'd really like to go with the 6 or 7 but I've heard they are a tight fit for anyone over 6' really.... Any help is appreciated thanks...

I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam. My -6A is plenty comfortable, and I've done quite a few 4+ hour legs without issue. There's enough headroom for a headset or HGU-55 helmet, and pulling the back seat cushion provides enough room to comfortably wear a backpack chute when appropriate.

While it's true that the 7/9 have more torso height, I'm not terribly certain how significant it is as my hangar mate's -7 is tight for me. I speculate that builder choices, such as seat cushions, canopy placement, and possibly other factors have a bigger effect. You'll want to check the actual aircraft for fit because of this variability.

Welcome!

You'll also want to consider Halo's or Clarity's to save that space where the headpad would be on most headsets.

Thanks for the replies guys.... I have been in search of a -6 or -7 close by but cannot find anyone near me to try it on for size... I'm located in northern Missouri if anyone is within a resonable distance and doesn't mind my big self climbing in your plane... I'm also pretty set on either the -6 -7 or -8s and tail dragger all the way! Lol

I'm over 6'3" with very long legs, and fly a 6A slider. I fit ok with the "normal" setup, although my left arm/elbow was a bit cramped, and I tended to wear very thin-soled shoes to give myself a bit more legroom. However, I installed AntiSplat's "Almost an RV 14" mod and it completely transformed the fit of the plane; now I have no issues whatsoever with elbow room, leg room, or head room, and the slightly more reclined sitting position is MUCH more comfortable on the low back as well. I think you would fit fine in a 6 or 7 with this mod.

Dan and I have near the same dimensions, 6' 4" with a 32" inseam. In my -6A I used a thin, 1" seat to get enough headroom and built it with the rudder pedals as far forward as possible. It was Ok, but tight. Almost got knocked out in some sudden turbulence crossing a ridge.

I put the "almost a 14" modification in it and it became wonderful. The -10 is a different story, a Caddy vrs. a VW.

Try and find one for size especially one that has the mod. Mine is in Oregon and for sale soon.

RV-8

Any reviews on the -8 for tall guys??

I'm 6,3"' 240#, 34" inseam, and broad shouldered. I have 500 hours in my -8 which I did not configure with the tall pilot option, and it is extremely comfortable for me even when carrying a large passenger ;) . A recent ride as a passenger in a -6 reaffirmed my decision to go with the -8 since I did not have much shoulder room, head room or knee room.

Skylor

Last edited:
I'm also about 6'3", more legs than torso, and I fit in my -9A just fine (9 & 7 fuselages are quite similar). Just don't go for a deeper-than-standard panel, as it cuts into leg room. I've got the mid-grade seats from Classic Aero.

Back