What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

humor - FAA 51 rule tests

dhall_polo

Well Known Member
From rec.aviation.homebuilt newsgroup.......

Lot of stuff lately about revisions/modifications to the FAA's enforcement of the 51% rule.

We don't really need it. Here are the Top Ten Ways an Inspector Knows that an Amateur Builder Constructed the Aircraft:

10. Bloodstains on plans seem to emphasize the middle digit
9. Builder knows how to pronounce "Bingelis"
8. Shop has at least one piece of hardware inadvertently attached to the floor
7. "Hired Gun" shop pin-up: Claudia Schiffer. Homebuilder shop pin-up:
Burt Rutan
6. Builder owns no clothing without bits of wood, aluminum, and/or epoxy stuck to them
5. Whole 'nother airplane in the scrap bin
4. At least one template made out of a pizza box
3. Bumper on builder's car held on by clecos
2. EAA Technical Counselor's phone number on telephone speed dialer

And finally, the Number 1 way an FAA inspector knows that an Amateur built the
aircraft:

1. The builder's children look like the UPS deliveryman!

I'll add some RV specific tests:

5. Builder has a permanent BAC (blood-aluminum concentration) of .10 aluminum dust.
4. Builder exhibits post traumatic stress signs if the phrase "tip-up canopy" is uttered.
3. Builder has random furniture and household items with odd aluminum modifications.
2. Builder can provide at least 6 tools that have been greatly modified to reach around a corner into a tight space upside down and backwards.

1... I'll leave this to creativity of vaf...

The name "polo"

Great thread! I was just wondering, though, if the polo portion of your name has anything to do with the game on horses.
Tom Navar
USPA- (2-goals)

3 Builders wife has her own collection of bucking bars
2 Builders carpets all have aluminum sparkles through out
1 builder has at least one little round scar on finger/thumb

How you know the Builder is the Builder?

Builder has a quick link on his browser's menu bar to the FedEx package tracking website.

Decorating the garage

Builder has airplane parts nailed to the wall of his garage as a reminder that things don't always work out well the first time.

The #1..

A builder will have saved an entire can of broken cleco, that are kept for sentimental reasons.

Time is measured in kit progress

1. The builder defines important moments of his life by where he was in the construction progress. i.e. Junior was born as I finished the empennage. "Sweety" first filed for divorce just as I flipped the canoe, it was finalized when I paid for the engine and avionics.

2. Can describe in detail the process by which a Cleco Clamp Blood Blister is formed, and how many are required to "Learn the Lesson."

3. The whole thing can be determined in one statement. "Show me where you made the extra hole while dimpling."

A true builder will have blood stains intermingled with the proseal dribbles on his workbench and favorite working T-shirt.

Check the floor for oil stains

1. The builder's car hasn't been inside the garage in 3 years

1. The builder's car hasn't been inside the garage in 3 years

Three years!!! I built my garage to finish the 4 about 13 years ago...airplane long finished, MG TD restored and now stored in garage....family cars have never seen the inside except when being worked on when its raining!!

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ

What garage?

Joe -
Hate to break it to you, but you built a workshop! :D

Alan
RV-9A Wings
N984AW Reserved

Back