What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Belfast Lobster Flyin - Debrief

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Mother Nature wasn't too kind this year, but we still had a good time for those who could make it to Belfast Maine. Due the the weather we had 18 RVrs call or email cancelling their trip early. Fortunately the ones in Florida and the east coast reported they were safe and no damage. Many even local didn't make it due to local IF conditions on Friday.

We had 7 RV show up early and we took advantage of the good weather site seeing around Maine. Robert and his wife had his RV ready for lift off from North Carolina, but weather wasn't good so they switched to the auto and drove up. (Robert we hope you can get your 8 up here next year.). John did get in from Baton Rouge, Peter from Toronto, and Bill from NJ came in Friday afternoon in time for the Lobster Dinner.

17 fly 8.jpg

Brent just arrived on Friday afternoon

We ended up with 25 for the Lobster Dinner at Young's Lobster Pound. Great conversations, food and drinks.

17 fly 7.jpg

Robert enjoying a Maine Lobster

The forecast for Saturday was IFR till 9:00, once again Mother Nature did not cooperate. It was after 11:00 till our first plane could arrive. We hear a plane circling over head waiting for the coastal fog to lift. I had a hunch, pulled up my APRS tracks and as suspected it was our favorite Russian. Fifteen minutes later it had lifted letting our buddy come in.

vlad 0917.png

Got on the radio and verified it was him, a few of us walked out to see him as he approached 33 at KBST. We did have a good turnout of local people including many children for the Fly-In. So as many of the guys headed out wearing the safety green staff shirts started walking towards the runway, many of the town visitors followed. So when Vlad arrive he had a formal welcome of 40ish people waving and clapping.

17 fly 3.jpg

17 fly 4.jpg

But appropriate after he landed and the crowd started to dispersed, we hear from a large group of non pilots say "THAT'S IT"

After Vlads arrival Mother Nature gave up and the sky's parted and great flying weather in Maine the rest of the afternoon. Planes started arriving from around Maine and even Mass ( Mike, John, and Steve)

17 fly 6.jpg

Awards went to the 8s this year Al R and Bill W, Jimmy received the furthest flow, and Vlad got an award, first arrival and more (but I will leave that up to him to tell)

17 fly 1.jpg

We will put in an order for better weather next year :D

Last edited:
The fly in is great event sharing the local airport with the community

17 fly 10.jpg

This little guy in my plane with a big future RV Grin

17 fly 12.png

Duke T, the EAA chapter president being interviewed by
Channel 5 news - footage with Vlad, John and Vlad's Russia buddy
http://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Belfast-Municipal-Airport-Hosts-Annual-Fly-In-444893033.html

17 fly 11.png

30 sec Time laps video from my hanger view
https://www.facebook.com/BelfastEAA/videos/1969308143354815/

David
"Every takeoff is optional.
Every landing is mandatory."

Last edited:
Great Time

Nancy and I had a great time. We've never been to Maine. (It's a long way from Baton Rouge.) But, we think it's better than advertised. Just spent this afternoon taking sailing lessons in a "Bullseye" sailboat, and watched the sun go down from Cadillac Mt with the strains of "Amazing Grace" being sung in the background. Don't know when I've had a better day.

I predict this will become one of the most well attended fly-ins on the calendar. Thanks to Dave, Duke, Al and all who put it together. One nice thing about this year's event is that we really got to know some RVers well and were very impressed with the quality of their planes, but more so, with the quality of their characters.

Still trying to get our fill of lobster. We're staying a few more days to accomplish that goal.

John

Last edited:
weather

I gave in to weather also. We hope to try again next year, my wife has never been to Maine.

I was within 50 minutes but the weather didn't clear before I had to head back. :(

Here's hoping for better weather next year!

Marvin and Glen

You weren't alone I received 12 emails from other RVrs that couldn't make it along with 18 messages prior to Friday.

We will hope for good weather next year

I promised my Russian buddy at least 30 RVs to look over during annual Belfast Flyin. He bit the bullet, bought the ticket and flew commercially for the show. He owns and flies an RV9 Cetus company built for him. I found him at JFK airport past midnight. :D

Belfast%20-%201.jpg

He brought me some nice things. I exhausted all US branded logbooks and now I have a Russian printed one.

Belfast%20-%201%204.jpg

We roamed the Northeast for couple days and made it to Belfast.

Belfast%20-%201%201.jpg

Weather was marginal but then cleared. It's good to see old friends. :D

Belfast%20-%201%203.jpg

Thank you guys for the great effort you put in every year doing the event.

Belfast%20-%201%202.jpg

Sorry that we got there too late. The new Air Dog is becoming a very good navigator. Russki, see you soon, I am sure. Dave, thank you for letting us use your truck to go into the town. If anyone is interested in coming to Rangeley for Columbus Day weekend, let me know. I currently have space.

:) CJ

Rangley

I'm up to 21 out of the 40 so I might be freed from my fenced in area by the Oct 9th date for a Rangley trip.

Steve

Despite the weather, another extremely well organized and great event Governor. Only regret I have is not being able to arrive sooner and stay longer. Bruce and I debriefed our chapter last night about the trip and how well you've fined turned the planning year after year. Its the flyin that completes the summer flying season for me.

Seemed more than appropriate that the only RV flying around the northeast on Saturday morning was our Vlad.

2wn65h5.jpg

Brought back to New Jersey a few friends for dinner again this year.
opthmq.jpg

Decided to take them swimming.
xlifci.jpg

Oh boy were they great guests ...will be missed...:D
2gsoqog.jpg

Getting Home

5oe6wm.jpg

Muchas gracias Jose. You put me in the 200mph club on Thursday (21st) after more than 570hrs in my little 0320 powered 6A. If you can't read the Garmin screen, it shows 178kts or 205mph. Got up to 181kts before I powered back.

Ran into Rick Gray at Mid Ohio Valley Apt in WV. Got a tour of his hanger and some beautiful RV's and hot rods.

We had a flat rolling out on landing at MKL in Jackson, TN. As the tower was closing (7pm). The controller stayed around to warn other traffic while we pulled the plane off the runway. He may have saved a bad situation because a light twin arrived as we were working to remove the wheel pant and he was redirected to the crossing runway.

The next day I paid a visit to the tower to thank the man who had stayed overtime to keep us safe. Turns out he was a new guy who was going the extra mile. I was ready with a little speech about how much I appreciate FAA controllers, but before I even got started, the tower manager said that they were contractors and that their company mans over 90 towers around the country. That was news to me.

Because the lineman on duty the night I landed tracked down a dolly for my flat wheel, we were able to move the plane without destroying the tire and I was able to just change the tube with the new one I carry for such situations. I guess professionalism and good will are still alive and well in this country.

We made it home to BTR this afternoon sans wheel pants. One modification I plan to make is to move the lowest wheel pant screws up 1.5" so I don't have to tear the wheel pant off when the tire is flat and there is no time to lift the wing so you can get a screwdriver on that last screw.

John

I was flying from Belfast to Florida on Thursday and told Shakeel that I saw pictures of Vlad at the flyin. I just realized that the picture shows Vlad talking to Shakeel.

I was flying from Belfast to Florida on Thursday and told Shakeel that I saw pictures of Vlad at the flyin. I just realized that the picture shows Vlad talking to Shakeel.

He sold his 8 and got himself a nice 10! My buddy liked it and now wants one :)

Shakeel%20-%201.jpg

Shakeel%20-%201%201.jpg

Back