What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boost pump possible problem?

Veetail88

Well Known Member
I have and injected IO 360 with the standard high pressure pump Van's supplies.

The facts;

1. 2 weeks ago, at a fly-in, the pump wouldn't work, assumed it was the fuse, checked, yep it was. Replaced with the same fuse amperage and has been fine since.

2. The last few flights, the pump, when operated prior to engine start, has sounded pretty different at first, then sounding normal. Making the same boost pressure as before.

Something is different. Wondering if anyone has seen this exact scenario and or what might it be. What should I look for? Should I pull it and take it apart? Is is serviceable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have seen pumps that are beginning to fail, start drawing more current and blow fuses or circuit breakers that had always been fine previously.

Different sounds and blown fuse could be early signs of a failure that is coming.....

Yep,...most likely pump going south

Or,... something changed in flow,...fighting more back pressure, (or suction head) due to clogged filter,... re-circ not flowing freely,..or even loose joint or crack in line allowing air entry, etc. or. possibly the relief / recirc valve having issues

P.s. Believe the base pump itself is sourced from automotive world,..airtex ???? The fittings at inlet and outlet tailor to aircraft install.

Last edited:
Interesting that this has just come up. Mine has been doing the same thing for about about a year. I spoke with Don at Airflow Performance. He was kind enough to give me a part no. to replace the pump part of the the system. It is an Airtex E2315. https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E2315-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B001J4VSQG. It just came in today, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. He said to just remove the components of the return circuit and install it on the new pump. Sounds easy enough. I hope it solves the problem.

Interesting that this has just come up. Mine has been doing the same thing for about about a year. I spoke with Don at Airflow Performance. He was kind enough to give me a part no. to replace the pump part of the the system. It is an Airtex E2315. https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E2315-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B001J4VSQG. It just came in today, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. He said to just remove the components of the return circuit and install it on the new pump. Sounds easy enough. I hope it solves the problem.

Thanks Jerry. Think I'll get one on order.

Generally the pumps from Air Flow are bullet proof. BUT, things do fail over time. If you send it to Don, I think we'd all be interested in knowing what the outcome is.

Tom

Back