What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reduction Ratio

Reduction?

If you are talking about a Lycoming (or a clone) It's direct drive, so there is no reduction.

Last edited:
Compression ratio?? Maybe it's a Queen's English thing....

Mike, give us colonists some help and maybe we can answer your question. :)

Last edited:
For the record

The wallet reduction ratio is $1000 USD per Aviation Monetary Unit.

So based on your salary, the wallet reduction ratio is 10 to 1 per week.

Compression ratio?? Maybe it's a Queen's English thing....

Mike, give us colonists some help and maybe we can answer your question. :)

I forgot to note I was being cheeky. But yes, it was the only play on reduction I could think of. It took a few minutes to figure out how to word it without saying compression.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. My query was in relation to a question posed on a 'modification approval form' required by the UK LAA regulating body. Yes, I suppose I could have asked the LAA what they meant. I am purchasing an Aero Sport AEIO-375-M1S and the LAA think, at this stage, that the engine is completely new. Unless it is flying in the UK already, there are lots of potential hoops to jump through to have it approved in the UK.

This 'new' engine is a cloned engine. Aero Sport had ECI develop the 375 and ECI called it the X-370. Aero Sport sells it as the 375. The only difference from the X-360, apparently, is the crankshaft.

In the worst case, I might have to prove that this new crankshaft has performed well and that there have been no adverse effects on other engine parts due to the different crankshaft. Fair bit of research required, I suspect. Colonial matters are never quite as simple as they are in the former colonies I'm afraid.:)

I suspect the answer to my original question, is the number '1', as no reduction gear exists between the crankshaft and prop.

If anyone is flying with this particular engine, or knows of any anecdotes relating to it, good or bad, I would be grateful if you would let me know.

Mike,

We had similar with LAA LAA with our ECI motor. Frankie wanted it to be called a Lycoming, so we just said it was a Lycoming IO-360-B1B which was the closest to what ECI had made as a clone. If you look at Lycoming Thunderbolt line, you may find something that is close - call it that, move on....

I am in Harrogate if you want a chat - email off line and get in touch.

M

Camshaft .1" smaller OD

FYI, to turn a 360 into a 370, in addition to increasing the stroke from 4.375 to 4.500 the camshaft is .1" smaller OD to clear the connecting rods.

Ref paragraph 4 at http://eci.aero/pdf/13-1.pdf

What they're doing with rods and pistons to end up with the compression ratios of 8.3 and 9.6 I don't know but the width of the 360, 370, and 540 are the same at 33.41". The 320 and 340 also have the same width at 32.27.

Ref http://www.continentalmotors.aero/uploadedFiles/Content/Engines/Experimental_-_Kit_Engines/CM_TitanSpec.pdf

Back