VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-02-2016, 06:45 PM

Default Bob Odegaard

This installment was also a little emotional for me. One of my neighbors owns the only flying Super Corsair in the world. One of my other neighbors flew the plane. Bob Odegaard owned the only other Super Corsair, the one in the crash.

He was hanging around with my neighbor at Oshkosh in 2012. I ran into them and was introduced to Bob. He wanted to know what I flew and we talked about RV's. I told him I make it a 3 week vacation and head to South Dakota from Oshkosh. He said he was from North Dakota and invited me to come up anytime. He gave me a card and told me to call anytime. He said, "you've got a place to stay, a place for your plane and we'll have a great time."

I traveled to South Dakota and considered going up there for a couple days to see his place. I didn't. The fishing was so good in South Dakota I stayed, vowing to go next Summer. A decision I regret.

Bob Odegaard was truly one of the nicest people I've ever meet in Aviation. Bob owned many aircraft but another plane familiar to all of us the Yellow Jelly Belly DC3 that was often at Oshkosh.

Scott, thanks for writing about this amazing journey. You've managed to visit places that represent the best of America and the best people of America. Thank you!!!
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 09-02-2016, 07:06 PM

Default Great reading

Scott thanks its been interesting following your progress on google earth. I could see the graveyard for example. Real people stories. Got to always remember its all about people at the end of the day. Good bad and ugly.. I have so much repect for the vintage warbird craftsman. Your "stumbling on such momemts is what your adventure is all about and those sharing with you!
RV7 VH-RRA flying Sept 2017
=VAF=. 2017-2018 Donor
Old 09-02-2016, 11:32 PM

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this tour of the real US of A. (As opposed to the fake versions often depicted by Hollywood or slanted news stories.) I was privileged to taxi by the Descending Dove when it was parked at Central Jersey Regional. I stopped and admired - didn't realize it was on this great journey I'd later be reading about. Haven't seen a better looking RV-8 either.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
I did a little more research on this airport where Scott had trouble and I noticed two entries in the AFS. (1) it is NOT an entry point airport and (2) It is a "landing rights airport."

That's a term I've never heard of before, but here are the major provisions of a landing rights airport. It does not seem to make a distinction from those crossing a border to those simply exercising their freedom to fly in their own country.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
In the simplest terms a Landing Rights Airport is simply an airport you can land at and clear Customs.
The major difference between an LRA and an airport designated as an International Airport is you must have CBP permission to land at a LRA if your point of departure was in a foreign country.

Think of it this way. An "International Airport" will most likely have a full time permanent staff of Customs folks. To provide better service, CBP will also allow international arrivals at certain other designated airports. Landing Rights Airports. These certain designated airports most likely do not have permanent full time staff. You must make arrangements to land there with CBP so they can arrange to have an agent on site at your proposed arrival time.

Since the OP stated the agent commented that he would need to move his airplane because there were other aircraft on the way I am going to guess there were international arrivals scheduled that day and when the agent showed up he was surprised to see an aircraft already there and probably assumed it was one of his international arrivals landed early, which is a no no.

Could the CPB agent have handled it better? Yes.
No I don't work for CPB, just done lots of international flying while landing at smaller airports.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 AM

Alternate thread title:

Hangars and Cliffhangers: A mission trip fueled by coffee, burgers, and sweets.

RV-6A bought flying
Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
Alternate thread title:

Hangars and Cliffhangers: A mission trip fueled by coffee, burgers, and sweets.

and generosity of indigenous peoples.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Old 09-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Default Airplanes, People and America

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
and generosity of indigenous peoples.
Over the last forty five years of aircraft ownership, and flying all over this wonderful country, I have found the people of the GA community to be friendly and generous just as Scott experienced. I'm not surprised Scott only had to use his tent once during his month long trek.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2018
Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM

Default Flyng Across America

Not timely, late but wishing I'd have informed you of a phenomenon known of since the 70's or before, "The Kindred Lights." Strange, erie, seen out in the country shelterbelts, off + on ...for @ Odegaard's, other locals to comment. Clyde Ice was from Pierre/ Ft.Pierre. Spearfish, S.D.airport named Clyde Ice Field, after him.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 AM

When we flew our Lewis and Clark flight, the folks at Mustang Aviation in Pierre met us at the counter after the line guys help tie our planes down, with the following question which I have never heard at an FBO. "What kind of beer would you like?" How is that for service!!

Thanks for sharing this journey.

"God does not deduct from one's time on earth that which is spent in the air."
Old 09-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Ditto on Mustang Aviation. They took care of me and my airplane really well when I overnighted there on my way back from Oregon in 2014. I liked the city too.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold