What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you identify this former facility?

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
So I was visiting relatives last weekend far from home. I am sure there are many of you who will be able to identify this former RV-related facility. I'm curious how long it will take for someone to get it right! It'll probably be Vlad!

Wow, Don, that was fast!

It was sad to see it abandoned and run down like it was. Not much going on there anymore, there were two other airplanes tied down and a few T-hangars, but the runway was in pretty good shape considering. The ramp not so much. Lots of potholes.

If you look closely under the tail of my -6, you can see one of Don's ADSB antennas. It's working great, Don!

Sad

That's where the heart of mine is from too and Mahlon is what we call good people. Sad....guess that's progress. Bummer.

:(

Had great time there!

That's where my engine was born! :D

Mine too John. I took the engine class there on the Saturday I picked up my nice new shiny TMX360. :D Got to see the test cell in operation. Toured the facility. Like a family run business. There was even a old car museum next door. Really sad to see such a great place close. :p
And what did happen to Mahlon? :confused: He could answer any any question there was concerning aircraft engines. Really nice guy. ;)

No doubt the departure of Mattituck Engines has hurt the airport and the local economy. My brother-in-law was an attorney for them for years and arranged for a tour of the facility for me years ago when they were in their prime. This was around the time that they were becoming more involved with experimental aviation. Previously they had been mainly a general aviation facility.

The airport seems to be in a subsistence or survival mode. No fuel available anymore. Sure is a pretty little airport with a great approach over the bay when landing to the north. By the way, the car museum is still there but not sure what its status is.

Vlad, I also landed at Fisher Island. Ever been there? Another gorgeous airport! Beautiful area.

Back