What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuse fuel tank hanger straps

I am trying to finish an old RV3 kit and need some help. If the straps that support the fuselage fuel tank are made according to Van's plans, there is a 4 to 5 inch section where the two sections are joined together that does not fit the round contour of the tank because of the clamp fittings, so there is a gap between the strap and the tank at that point. It seems to me it would be better if there was continuous contact with the tank. How have those of you with fuselage tanks solved that problem...or is it not a problem?

Fuel Tank Straps

I am trying to finish an old RV3 kit and need some help. If the straps that support the fuselage fuel tank are made according to Van's plans, there is a 4 to 5 inch section where the two sections are joined together that does not fit the round contour of the tank because of the clamp fittings, so there is a gap between the strap and the tank at that point. It seems to me it would be better if there was continuous contact with the tank. How have those of you with fuselage tanks solved that problem...or is it not a problem?

Gordon: My 3A came with some 8 1/2 X 11 inch. "plans" for building tank where there isn't gap. If you send me your e-mail address I can send you what I have in jpeg. Here is the picture from a rear view of how the author of this idea did it...

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A Flying (9.9 hrs so far in a month!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c5k9p8g07p1xtx/April 2014 016.JPG

Thanks Doug. The drawing you posted is the "old" version which I already have. The only difference between the old and new plans is the new plans show tightening of the strap bracket with 4 1/4" jam nuts and no turnbuckle. I think I've got it figured out how to solve the problem.

Back