What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Topside Antennas

Hey gang,
Thinking of putting a COM antenna and ELT whip antenna aft of the slider canopy on the aft fuselage topside. Certainly will put the ELT whip antenna in such a location. How far aft of the FS-707 fuselage bulkhead does one need to be to clear the canopy when in the open position?

Thanks very much,
Grumpy.

Hey gang,
Thinking of putting a COM antenna and ELT whip antenna aft of the slider canopy on the aft fuselage topside. Certainly will put the ELT whip antenna in such a location. How far aft of the FS-707 fuselage bulkhead does one need to be to clear the canopy when in the open position?

Thanks very much,
Grumpy.

I did exactly as you are describing. Com antenna immediately aft of F-707 bulkhead and ELT antenna closer to the vertical stabilizer.

Check third photo: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=871815&postcount=16

Anywhere aft of the F-707 bulkhead will not interfere with the slider.

Not sure there is room for bot on top side.

You don't want the ELT antenna so close to the vertical stab that it hits the stab when flexing around in flight. And you don't want it too close to the Comm antenna that it picks up the VHF signal and does weird things with it. My ACK manual says minumum spacing to another vertically polarized VHF (118-137 Mhz) antenna is 3 feet. I don't believe there is 3 feet between the aft end of the canopy when open and the vert stab.

You will also want to keep some seperation between the coax cables for ELT and comm radios.

Bevan

Back