What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this OK?

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Getting ready to rivet my fuselage center section and was wondering if there was any reason I shouldn't rivet with it upright as shown in the picture below. Will make it a lot easier to access both sides and to do alone. Thanks.

4D5B3AB2-B859-4B13-BEAB-0E25E85E303D_zpsancx27lo.jpg

As long as the spar center section is correctly spaced, then that should be fine. That's how we do the RV-10.

Or like this? :D

IMG_0029-M.jpg

I was able to rivet this whole assembly solo. Just make sure to clamp it down to your work suface.

One other thing, double check the orientation of yoryour ribs. A few people have put them in wrong.

Been there done that

Worked great in the vertical on my RV-7A fuselage. Only a couple of rivets that were a stretch.

Excuse

I used the traditional method as an excuse to get my wife on her back!:D

Last edited:
Made me LOL

How'd that work-out for you Glen????

Thanks all - I'll probably use a combination of vertical and upside down.

T.

Hi All,

Getting ready to rivet my fuselage center section and was wondering if there was any reason I shouldn't rivet with it upright as shown in the picture below. Will make it a lot easier to access both sides and to do alone. Thanks.

4D5B3AB2-B859-4B13-BEAB-0E25E85E303D_zpsancx27lo.jpg

Don't have a clue as to your question.But, I would drop the top on that TR6 sittin' there and take it for a spin. :D

I did mine exactly like that on the -10.

However, there were spacers supplied to fit between the spar stubs to ensure correct distance for the wing spar stub to fit. Do you not have something similar? In which case, I would fit them sooner rather than later.

Spacers are fit

I have the supplied aluminum tube spacers in position along the top of the spar carry through, and I cut some PVC pipe to use as spacers along the bottom.

That TR-6 is a little gem. 1973, 70K miles, about 95% original. I think it is the only Triumph in the world with no rust - and as we know, these cars were rusting on the assembly line :D

Back