Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-09-2018, 04:41 AM

Default Boston to Alaska...

Hey all,

We, myself and my co-pilot Markham are making the journey right now and are in Ottawa as I write this, staying with fellow VAF’er, ALFIO! Thank you ALFIO!

This morning I will be pointing the machine northwest and am looking for suggestions on where to make stops that are interesting, worthwhile and hospitable. We will need the typical essentials of fuel, food and lodging.

Our Alaska destination will initially be the Kenai peninsula to meet another VAF’er, Mike B., from there I want to spend as much time in Alaska before we then head south to Oshkosh.

Please chime in with suggestions. It is hard to beat the local knowledge provided by others. I am glad to provide rides for builders in progress along the way also!

CJ
Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 AM

Flying St. Louis Seattle Anchorage today...737-900 Alaska Airlines...no RV but will do in a pinch.
Visiting relatives Homer and Palmer, some fishing, and break from Midwest heat.
RV-12 canopy installed will get on with Rotax later thus month, very interesting project.

Good luck with RV flight to AK.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2018 This place is worth it!
Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 AM

Default Beer

Hey John,
I hope you packed some Heady Topper with you for the Osh beer tasting!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Default Boston to Alaska

I am jealous of your trip. I hope to do the same in mine in about 2 years.
Had a great time meeting you and the locals last week. The flight and the lobster was excellent.
Gary
Old 07-09-2018, 06:50 PM

Captain John give us a daily update on the move. How far did you get today? Also, if you reach Mike earlier or when he is at work there is a little hotel by Kenai airport you can see your RV from the room window. $129 per night.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Captain John give us a daily update on the move. How far did you get today? Also, if you reach Mike earlier or when he is at work there is a little hotel by Kenai airport you can see your RV from the room window. $129 per night.
Russki, I didn’t make it too far today. We left Alfio’s late after getting Canuckistan airspace briefing. Ugh... a VERY different place than the USA, but I am enjoying the difference! We are in Gore Bay, Ontario now. It seemed like an interesting stop over... and it was!

We are thinking CYGQ for gas tomorrow and then heading west, perhaps making it to CJC5 as you have suggested...

I will keep you posted. Anyone have a better suggestion? Where is there a good breakfast enroute?

CJ
Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 AM

Default Hi John

Great to see this thread, will keep watching to see when you get near the Kenai Peninsula.

Weather is supposed to improve by the weekend, rain and clouds for now. Wed thru Friday partly cloudy, Saturday all of a sudden is showing a 1/4" of rain and then mostly cloudy for Sun/Mon.

Have you checked out the webcams here in Alaska. Can send you a link if you don't have it.
Great visuals of what the different passes and airports look like. Real time updates.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid
Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 AM

Mike, I do have the link to the web cams. I am in Regina right now making My Way North. Looks like Westlock has a credit card system for fuel and I will be stopping there.

I have taken a few pictures and will upload them when I have a chance. The scenery is spectacular along the way and I only expected to get better!

CJ
Old 07-12-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Hi Alfio...
Hello Vlad :-)

John, we are also anxiously awaiting progress reports and photos.
over 900hrs tach.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Today the plan is to fly the trench route from Mackenzie to Watson Lake. We are going to get gas at Watson Lake and then on to Whitehorse to initiate customs in Anchorage.

The plan is to take lots of pictures of the trench. Let me see about posting them on the road so that you can see them. I'm not as tech-savvy as the Russian! Hahaha

Mike, looks like the weather has been very cooperative for us this week. Depending upon hello we do on time, we might see you tonight!

I will call you when we make it to Anchorage after we clear customs and have a plan.

CJ