VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Default Exhaust

The intent of the original question was directed at A models whereas the nose gear A frame and exhaust pipes occupy much of the exit area-plugging up the exit area. By moving the pipes outward which is only @ 4 inches it opens up that crowded area. The redesign of the current crossover system for vertical sump setups reduces both crossover bends from 105 degrees to 90 degrees. Simple to do during fabricating a system.
One more note of interest. The turndowns offered as an option for the RV-8 only do to the tunnel design and exhaust pulsing on it.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtw_rv6 View Post
Would it capture the intent of your design if I were to shell out the existing outlet bump? That would eliminate the large flat area on my exit plug. Or are you implying that the exhaust tubes need to be much further apart (as in straight down from the cylinder ports)? My glasswork isn't necessarily pretty, but I'm working on it. The real issue for me would be custom exhaust fabrication.

However, now that I'm thinking of it, that might make for a very clean exit path for the cooling air -- straight back and down.
Larry and I think so too.

It's not really a design, but rather a concept. If developed further, yes, I would shrink the inlet scoop body as much as possible, and remove all of the outlet "coal shovel", leaving the least possible bump fairing for the nose gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterman View Post
One more note of interest. The turndowns offered as an option for the RV-8 only do to the tunnel design and exhaust pulsing on it.
That would be another case of your design desires being compromised by stock airframe considerations. Swapping the aluminum ramp for a one piece SS ramp, then damping the backside of the ramp and the first belly panel allows a slash cut tailpipe. Best way to damp the rearmost rivet in the floor stiffener (the one that cracks the skin) is to drill a .25" hole in the floor just above it and inject a small blob of Firebarrier 2000 into the enclosed space.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazoos View Post
Vetterman Crossover Exhaust on an 0320 with a 0360 scoop. In the following 3 pictures you can see the exhaust tips point towards one another. The closer the tips point towards one another the greater clearance I have at the exit from cowling. The picture with the tips furthest apart have about 1/2 inch clearance to the cowling at the exit.

I was thinking the exhaust would point more straight back. Am I missing something or does this look correct?

I appreciate the input.

Here's my aircraft - I0-320 with Vetterman x over. (the centre pipe is the Christian "overboard" pipe)

[IMG]_MG_0715 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]