VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-08-2018, 04:56 PM

Default ICOM A220 Receive Dies

After multiple problems with my A210, and for simplicity in spite of misgivings, I swapped it for an A220. After less than a year that too is now playing up.

After a flight of an hour or so everything goes quiet without even background chatter on the comm from distant stations on the primary or dual watch frequencies. On switching the radio on then off the it receives clearly. I'm told that it still transmits.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

This is completely different from the A210 problems that included random frequency changes and other gremlins.

Jim Sharkey
RV6
Old 07-08-2018, 06:52 PM

The 210 and 220 both are plagued with face-plate to tranciever to tray connection problems. They really made that box much more complicated than it should have been.

I'd re-rack it and be careful to insure the ribbon cable for the faceplate is properly connected and stowed.

If you're not familiar, you can probably find someone nearby who is.

If that doesn't fix it, pester the iComm customer support folks. I've heard that several people have gotten theirs looked at and ribbon cables replaced for a nominal fee.

.....And, Happy Birthday!

Last edited by N804RV : 07-08-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharkey View Post

After a flight of an hour or so everything goes quiet without even background chatter on the comm from distant stations on the primary or dual watch frequencies. On switching the radio on then off the it receives clearly. I'm told that it still transmits.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Jim Sharkey
RV6
Hi Jim,

I had this exact problem in my A-210. I sent it in twice before it was fixed.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2017 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV (RV4chick's blog)
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 PM

I have a spare ribbon cable for the 210 in my Hgr ,if you need it . It is possible to rack or unrack the 210 and or 220 without removing the ribbon cable connection and that's what i would recommend. Use blue tape and allow the face to be supported by the tape and work with care. This actually came from ICOM tech support. The ribbon cable and its connection is probably the reason for inoperability and certainly a weak link in that radio. I understand that the 220 has a different connection cable but may be just as troublesome.

Last edited by DennisRhodes : 07-09-2018 at 03:19 PM.