- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-04-2018, 11:23 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCardinal View Post
I think that it is the faring hanging off. The AntiSpat attaches in the center of the gear leg.
Had an RV8A flip at KAPA recently. No AntiSplat. Here's the NTSB report. Hopeful we can all learn from this:
The pilot reported that, during the landing flare in gusting crosswind conditions, he realized that the descent rate was a “little fast/ heavy,” so power and smooth out [the] flare.” He further reported that he mistakenly grabbed the “red knob” (the mixture control), instead of the throttle, Subsequently, the airplane continued to descend, bounced hard on the runway, and became airborne again. When the airplane settled back landing gear collapsed, the propeller struck the runway, and the airplane veered off the runway to the left and nosed over.
The fuselage and vertical stabilizer sustained substantial damage.
The pilot reported that there were no preaccident mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation.
An automated weather observation station at the accident airport recorded that, about the time of the accident, wind was from 360° at 8 knots, reported that the landing was on runway 28.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot's improper landing flare and inadvertent selection of the mixture control, which resulted in a hard, bounced landing during gusting conditions.
I guess that is why our instructors teach us to have your hand on the throttle when you land.

After lots of glider flying my power instructors had to slap my hand a few times to get into this habit.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 02-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
I guess that is why our instructors teach us to have your hand on the throttle when you land.

After lots of glider flying my power instructors had to slap my hand a few times to get into this habit.
Hmmm... should have been an easy switch from holding the spoiler/dive brake handle in sailplanes to the throttle in power planes. As a CFI-G, students were taught to have their hand on the spoiler/dive brake handle through the approach and landing. Remember the Blanik L-13s, where the spoiler/dive brake handle and flap handle were stacked one above the another? Many a Student Pilot, as well as rated pilots, let go of the spoiler/dive brake handle only to go back and grab the flap handle instead. Then they would float down the entire runway, and sometimes run off it, madly yanking back on the flap handle wondering why the spoiler/dive brakes didn't work!
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 02-04-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Hmmm... should have been an easy switch from holding the spoiler/dive brake handle in sailplanes to the throttle in power planes. As a CFI-G, students were taught to have their hand on the spoiler/dive brake handle through the approach and landing. Remember the Blanik L-13s, where the spoiler/dive brake handle and flap handle were stacked one above the another? Many a Student Pilot, as well as rated pilots, let go of the spoiler/dive brake handle only to go back and grab the flap handle instead. Then they would float down the entire runway, and sometimes run off it, madly yanking back on the flap handle wondering why the spoiler/dive brakes didn't work!
It was a right handy vs. left handy thing. Glider spoilers on R side. Luckily I never flew a Blanik but I have seen the long, strange landings you mention.

I originally thought of making my RV-6A right seat pilot but decided against it and have learned to switch hands. It seems like the only thing I could do well previously with my left hand was drive a stick shift car in the UK - just got back last week and I could still do it.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM

https://assets.publishing.service.go...CCVS_01-18.pdf

RV-6A flip over with Anti-Splat
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 PM

The photo appears to show the anti splat nose job saddle to be to one side and forward of where it is supposed to be. The only way I can picture that happening is when there is not only an overload in the aft direction but also a considerable loading to the side. In other words the nose came down hard and was not in alignment with the direction the momentum of the airplane such as swerving rudder inputs at the moment of impact.

Let's face it. There are always ways to bend an airplane. I find it hard to imagine many planes that perform like an RV that would have survived the loading required to do that to the nose gear with the nose job installed.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2018 paid plus some for those who can't
Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 AM

The Internet thrives on rumors. I have a V-tail Bonanza which, if you're on the Internet you know, might fall apart in level flight at any moment. Before that, I had a BMW motorcycle which, according to the Internet, has a motor that surges uncontrollably. I recently bought a new Subaru, only to learn that the head gasket will self destruct shortly after the warranty expires.

And so we have the RV nose gear.

Since I asked this question, I've seen a few photos and videos of splatted Anti-Splats. It looks to me like every one of them would've flipped a 182. I'm not convinced there's a real problem with the RV nose gear. But I am convinced that, if there is a problem, the Nose Job is an improvement.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
The Internet thrives on rumors. I recently bought a new Subaru, only to learn that the head gasket will self destruct shortly after the warranty expires.
Your new Subaru probably won't have this issue but hundreds of thousands of earlier EJ engines did. It was no rumor unfortunately for many owners.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
The Internet thrives on rumors. I have a V-tail Bonanza which, if you're on the Internet you know, might fall apart in level flight at any moment. Before that, I had a BMW motorcycle which, according to the Internet, has a motor that surges uncontrollably. I recently bought a new Subaru, only to learn that the head gasket will self destruct shortly after the warranty expires.

And so we have the RV nose gear.

Since I asked this question, I've seen a few photos and videos of splatted Anti-Splats. It looks to me like every one of them would've flipped a 182. I'm not convinced there's a real problem with the RV nose gear. But I am convinced that, if there is a problem, the Nose Job is an improvement.
+1
I have the nose job on my 6A and fly out of a grass runway. 100's of landings, if not close to 1,000. There are no witness marks on my gear, suggesting that the nose job has never actually come into play. However, if it does I am sure it will help significantly.