What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 / 6A parts to order before price increase

XPPilot

Well Known Member
Hi,

Has anyone prepared a list of recommended / needed parts to order before price increase?

I have early RV-6A under construction and I like to be proactive to save couple of $'s.

The reality, order the rest of the kits. There are some parts that interchange with the 7 (mostly FWF, but the canopy as well), but the kit price is lower than the piecemeal price, so it will cost you more to pick and choose.

By the way, I see you are in Dallas. Whereabouts? We should get together some time. I'm in East Plano, right by Spring Creek and Parker.

#ChiefPilot

RV-6A #20xxx
- Fuselage have been completed.
- Sliding canopy.
- Tail completed (original), some fiberglass work needs to be done.
- Wings completed.
- Engine and Propeller installed.
- Original nose gear.
- Instrument panel under "early" construction.

#WingsOnWheels (Colin P.)

- I am based in 52F, Northwest Regional Airport.
- My RV-6A serial number is close to yours.
- PM send to you.

#ChiefPilot

RV-6A #20xxx
- Sliding canopy.
- Wings completed.
- Original nose gear.

#.....

If the canopy is completed, then the only critical bits to buy now would be the -6A cowling appropriate for your engine/prop combo, and a new style nose gear.

The rest would be small stuff and probably covered by -7 parts anyway.

The later gear leg fairings and wheel pants (-7 parts) are better anyway. :)

I suspect you're probably good. I did the FWF on mine using -7A drawings & parts, and anything needed for the instrument panel is most likely going to be fabricated from sheet/angle/etc. anyway. The engine controls are all standard stuff (not -6/6A specific).

You say you have the original nose gear - does mean the nose gear fork that was addressed by a SB? I suspect the new one is the same as is used on the 7A (and possibly 8A/9A as well) but that might be something to check on.

#ChiefPilot

RV-6A #20xxx
- Sliding canopy.
- Wings completed.
- Original nose gear.

#ChiefPilot

- Thanks for your advice. I check from Van's nose gear staff. If it is same as used on 7A and 8A then I am good for couple of years before next models are dropped from the production.

#ChiefPilot

- Thanks for your advice. I check from Van's nose gear staff. If it is same as used on 7A and 8A then I am good for couple of years before next models are dropped from the production.

No RV models have been dropped from production.
The production rate has been adjusted to match demand.
The newest of the three models that had their production rate adjusted is over 30 years old.
Assuming that the demand for all the other models continues as it has in recent years, adjustment in their production rates is likely decades away.

I'm still more mad about the RV6 not being on the "aircraft" tab of the Vans site then I am about the production slow-down.

If the -6 page was still direct linked on the website, they would spend a lot of time answering the question "why can't I order the -6?"

Back