What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle Sealing recommendation

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
I was told by several people not to use the baffling rubber material that vans put in their kits. I looked on AC Spruce and there are several choices. Could i get help on the best one to use and preferable size? Its for the RV9A -O320
Thanks a lot...

Yes works fine if you want to replace it very soon. i have two friends that need to replace theirs already.

I've had to rework baffles that suffered from poor fit between cowl & baffle. Once that was accomplished, and Vans rubber seals fitted to lie smoothly against the cowl, I've not had to touch them again.
It's never the rubber seal's fault for kinking or rolling back.

My A&P recommended Cowl Saver from McFarlane Aviation when I the seals on my Grumman needed replacement. The seals work well and so far haven't had any problems.

Wally Anderson of Synergy Air also mentioned the Cowl Saver material as being better than the material that Van's provides with the kit.

Yes works fine if you want to replace it very soon. i have two friends that need to replace theirs already.

My Van's supplied baffle seals are 16 years old/1100 hours and are in great shape.

I think the Van's supplied product is fine. I also think there are individual preferences which lead to people upgrading quite a few items that work just fine for more expensive items that also work just fine, but may be prettier or otherwise be seen as an upgrade.

When I reworked my baffle seals two years ago, I used an unreinforced silicone baffling seal material. I regret that decision - it tears. Last year I replaced a torn section, and it looks like I will do the same this year in another location. I should probably be looking for a neoprene material reinforced with cloth / fiberglass.

I bought some 3/32 silicone sheet with a cloth reinforced center layer on Ebay.

It was too "floppy" to use for most of the baffling, but it works great for that strip that attaches to the cowling and rests on the inlet ramp. The floppiness makes it easier to grab and pull up when you install the lower cowling and it's flexibility made it easier to conform to the curves there.

I bought Vans stuff for the rest of the baffling and it seems to hold it's shape better.

Back