What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 to sit in

psalys

Patron
Anyone in the Eugene, Oregon area have an RV-12 I could come sit in? I?m 6?4? tall and am trying to determine if I need to order a lower seat cushion or if removing the ?wedge? will be adequate.

Call or text 541-2eight5-771four.

Thanks,
Patrick

Lane Community College Aviation Academy has an RV-12. Synergy Air, where they make the ELSA RV-12s is also in Eugene.

Anyone in the Eugene, Oregon area have an RV-12 I could come sit in? I?m 6?4? tall and am trying to determine if I need to order a lower seat cushion or if removing the ?wedge? will be adequate.

Call or text 541-2eight5-771four.

Thanks,
Patrick

I?m 6?4 and cut the foam wedge in half and stuffed it back in the case

I'm also 6'4". I don't use the wedge and have 4 fingers space between my head and the canopy. A thing to consider is that when you don't use the wedge there is a gap between the seat and backseat. Abby can make a longer backseat to avoid the gap and with that the lumbar support is also somewhat lower.

Thanks all for the comments. I went to Synergy Air and fortunately they had a 12 that was almost done I could sit it. Turns out I am much too tall for the regular seat cushions. Ryan and I took the seat cushions out and taxied out to the run-up area at KEUG and did a full power run-up. Awesome! I had about 3 inches of room above my headset with no seat cushion.

I will definitely ask Abby for lower seat cushions.

Thanks Ryan and Synergy Air.

Patrick

Thanks all for the comments. I went to Synergy Air and fortunately they had a 12 that was almost done I could sit it. Turns out I am much too tall for the regular seat cushions. Ryan and I took the seat cushions out and taxied out to the run-up area at KEUG and did a full power run-up. Awesome! I had about 3 inches of room above my headset with no seat cushion.

Patrick

Were you sitting the New iS?

Patrick

Just a thought, but if headroom is the issue, and the headset hitting canopy, then if you use a Halo or Clarity Aloft headset that will give you a lot more space to work with.
Probably you are already well aware of this.
You still need some gap above head as RV-12 can/is bumpy in any turbulence.
John

6 ft 4 inch test fit near Hayward CA

I?m planning a trip with an old friend in my 12 but he is 6-4. Before we set off on this 3 day journey I?m looking for someone near Hayward CA with a 12 that he can come sit in and see if a few 3 hour stints in the 12 will be enjoyable. I?m in the Seattle area, he is in Oakland CA.

Any helpers?

I?m planning a trip with an old friend in my 12 but he is 6-4. Before we set off on this 3 day journey I?m looking for someone near Hayward CA with a 12 that he can come sit in and see if a few 3 hour stints in the 12 will be enjoyable. I?m in the Seattle area, he is in Oakland CA.

Any helpers?

I'm 6'5" and sit in my friends RV-12 with nothing more than a lawn chair pad under my butt, and a moving blanket folded 4x thick taped to the back rest. I've done 2.5 to 3 hours, I'm 61 and still pretty comfortable. Bladder breaks every 2 to 2.5 hours and a walk around and refuel make things more manageable. Don't know if I'd want to do three 2.5 hr stints in an RV-12 on a long spring or early fall day, though. Might cover some ground, but at that point, I'd be considering flying commercial instead.

My friend is about 6?2? and finds that pulling out the foam wedge under the seat cushion gives sufficient clearance to the canopy. Might try that first.

Back