What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Photos showing REIFF engine heater instal

Westerhuis

Hi

Does anyone have any photos showing the REIFF pre-heat installation? I am particularly interested in the plug / power cable and how you get access to it. I read on the forum that some fix the plug onto the oil filler tube so it's accessible through the dipstick access door, but I don't fancy making a hole in the baffles to feed the plug and the wire through.

Thanks

Rogier

Rogier - which elements of the Reiff system are you intending to install? If you are going to install both cylinder base heaters and oil sump heaters I have to believe the installation is a little more complex. When I installed ours recently (Turbo XP system plus oil cooler heater) I opted to put the 115V plug clamped to the #2 cylinder push rod tube, facing forward. This allows me to access the plug through the left cowl inlet. My extension cord then comes out the cowl inlet and along the outside of the lower cowl. I have a Thinsulate engine cowl cover made by Aero Covers - the extension cord runs between the cowl cover and the cowl and exits in an aft direction. This has worked well so far.

I should also mention that I'm very pleased with the Turbo XP system - the day of our first flight saw temperatures starting out at -22C, then warming up to -15C (my personal minimum set for the first flight). I had plugged the Reiff system in the night prior and when I started the engine the oil was at about 105F.

Photos showing REIFF engine heater install

Rogier - which elements of the Reiff system are you intending to install? If you are going to install both cylinder base heaters and oil sump heaters I have to believe the installation is a little more complex. When I installed ours recently (Turbo XP system plus oil cooler heater) I opted to put the 115V plug clamped to the #2 cylinder push rod tube, facing forward. This allows me to access the plug through the left cowl inlet. My extension cord then comes out the cowl inlet and along the outside of the lower cowl. I have a Thinsulate engine cowl cover made by Aero Covers - the extension cord runs between the cowl cover and the cowl and exits in an aft direction. This has worked well so far.

I should also mention that I'm very pleased with the Turbo XP system - the day of our first flight saw temperatures starting out at -22C, then warming up to -15C (my personal minimum set for the first flight). I had plugged the Reiff system in the night prior and when I started the engine the oil was at about 105F.

Thanks that is useful - I am waiting to receive the standard system.

Back