What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empty weight

peter52

What is your empty weight?

Our RV12 is decked out with these extras....auto-pilot, extra altimeter and airspeed indicator in panel, interior upholstery kit, interior/exterior chromate, paint with clearcoat, LED landing light, wheel pant fairings and stabilator tips.

Empty weight 791 lbs Empty Arm 82.60

W1 324 lbs
W2 139.8 lbs
W3 327.2 lbs

D1 23.70
D2 39.64
D3 23.93

What is your empty weight?

Our RV12 is decked out with these extras....auto-pilot, extra altimeter and airspeed indicator in panel, interior upholstery kit, interior/exterior chromate, paint with clearcoat, LED landing light, wheel pant fairings and stabilator tips.

Empty weight 791 lbs Empty Arm 82.60

W1 324 lbs
W2 139.8 lbs
W3 327.2 lbs

D1 23.70
D2 39.64
D3 23.93

Just did mine today...all extras (no paint or wheel fairings yet)

Empty wt. 753 lbs. Empty Arm 80.56

W1 294 lbs.
W2 152 lbs.
W3 307 lbs.

D1 23.75
D2 41.5
D3 23.75

N 319RV came in at 764# @81.66
w1 301 @23.5
w2 144 @40.25
w3 319 @23.5

All available options; lights, wheel pants, ADS-B, autopilot servos and control panel, glove box, rear carpet... except dual Dynon, without interior door side panels (only arm rests) and insert carpet panels below pedals instead of the floating floor carpet. Fully painted.

Last edited:
760# @ 81.905.

Single Skyview w/ autopilot servos, lighting, ADS-B. Includes paint, interior carpet, fire extinguisher. No wheel fairings.

Last edited:
I thought I'd respond before Dave Farmer had a chance to comment on my WT!

wtandbal2.jpg

I need to re weight her after new leather seats. My guess I'll be tipping 795, with fire extingusher and a few other new toys.

Last edited:
wow 790 pounds is very heavy

mine came in at 723 with autopilot, paint and interior

I am somewhat suspect of 723.

I have weighed a lot of RV-12's and that weight is typical for one equipped with a D-180 panel and no paint or other options other than maybe lighting (which is only about 2.5 lbs).

If your airplane is Skyview equipped, my guess would be that it weigh in the 730 - 735 range. If it has wheel fairings, even a little higher.

I built my -12 about as light as you possibly could. I do have all the options that were available at the time, but the airframe is bone stock. The empty weight came in at 754. After paint and leather side panels, it weighs 765.

I also think that 790 is pretty heavy and 723 unusual. I am pretty cautious with these type of things. I'd beg, borrow, or rent some good aircraft scales. My old FBO allowed me to "borrow: their scales one weekend for free. I tipped the mechanic who assisted me for his help.

I will weigh in

With Skyview, lights, auto pilot, wheel pants, and parcial paint I weighed 755. I did some minimal interior additions too, but not much.
There is a aviation school next to my home airport and an instructor with two students came over with some fancy digital scales. They made it a class project to weigh my plane. I was confident they were right on. I later donated some old equipment to the school for disassembly and reassembly practice.

Mine is early SN with wheel pants and sun shade as only options. Minimal carpeting on floor and sidewalls of cabin. Painted fwd fuse and wings with polished horizontal stabilator. 746 lbs. Almost exact weigh as the Cub I owned previously, but boy does the 12 fly a whole lot better...

Last edited:
weight

after looking at other RV12 weights the figures I have do seem to be very low I will have to re weigh it

Back