What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

brand new EFIS

olderthandirt

Well Known Member
So now that I have power to EFIS, what next??? Wish there was a manuel that stepped one step at time to power up and program EFIS.. yes I go to Dynon and listen to video's.. then I had Van's download software..which I had hoped was latest ( when I picked up engine) not so it shows 13.1... and Dynon shows 14.1... so when I plug in flashdrive is it going to load latest or what is on flashdrive... ****...not computer guru... just want to fly my plane..

So now that I have power to EFIS, what next??? Wish there was a manuel that stepped one step at time to power up and program EFIS.. yes I go to Dynon and listen to video's.. then I had Van's download software..which I had hoped was latest ( when I picked up engine) not so it shows 13.1... and Dynon shows 14.1... so when I plug in flashdrive is it going to load latest or what is on flashdrive... ****...not computer guru... just want to fly my plane..

You and me brother....this part of the kit build "is" sadly lacking....

Production acceptance procedures from VANS outlines how and when to calibrate everything connected to the skyview / garmin

"Older" and "Phantom",

The avionics that are integrated into our aircraft of modern design can be very frustrating to deal with if one does not have a good knowledge in electronics and computers. But, if you guys are smart enough to build an airplane you can get through this! The good news is, there are lots of folks on this forum that can help guide you through the process. Chins up!

Just did some of that

I just did some of what you are asking about within the last couple of days. Below are a few links to the posts I have made to the Blog. You may find the information in the following posts helpful.

http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/04/updating-to-skyview-version-14-becoming.html

http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/04/updating-skyview-maps-and-associated.html

http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/04/calibrating-auto-trim-settings-for-ap.html

Hope some of the information in the above links will help steer you in the right direction .... progress.

Happy Building,

thanks John G

Thanks for help John, I had a moment of success because of your help..I went to FAA N number registry and obtained my Hexadecimal Code... I saw on my EFIS it needed to be put in..so now I can at least do that...next challenge will be getting latest firmware from Van's and putting it on flashdrive... sounds easy but not for computer dunce like me...thanks

I'll bet Scott's got to wonder sometime if anyone really reads the material that comes with the kits.

I'm not taking a swipe at anyone. I have a fish locator on my boat that I swear, is impossible to learn. I still can't get that thing figured out and it's been two seasons now. Once you finish constructing the airplane, the acceptance procedures walk you through getting the airplane ready to fly. Maybe you are just jumping the gun a little and want to play with the EFIS before you are done building? If so, that's okay. Folks here can point you to the right chapters.

But it's all there somewhere, it really is.

Was excited

I was excited to see how to find an download exadecimal code...then I took code to dynon EFIS and guess what it did not fit...the hexadecimal code from FAA is eight numbers long...when trying to download to Dynon they only allow five numbers... now what??? So I loaded it in omitting the zero's... my wife says not going to work??? since I don't have latest EFIS software downloaded it had not been issue...I still have two huge red X's and not much is working...

Likely need to convert the Octal value to Hexadecimal

Older-

If you are looking at the 8 digit Mode S code that begins with 5 shown on the FAA web site for a ?reserved? registration number ?. That Mode S code is shown as an Octal value and NOT Hexadecimal as is required for the Dynon transponder. The number needs to be converted to Hexadecimal and will likely be 6 characters long.

I have a link on the Blog showing how to do the conversion manually so a Hexadecimal value can be entered into the Dynon transponder setup menu.

http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/04/deriving-transponders-hexadecimal-code.html

Of note: One of the new features of SkyView version 14 software is that the N number that was entered into the aircraft setup menu is used to automatically populate the transponder Hex code. The hex number is obtained from a built in algorithm that converts the N number to the proper Hex value. Every N number has a unique Transponder Mode S hex code that is based on the N number being run through the algorithm.

Hope the link to the conversion process helps you out.

Happy Building,

I have a link on the Blog showing how to do the conversion manually so a Hexadecimal value can be entered into the Dynon transponder setup menu.
Windows Calculator also has a "Programmer" view that enables decimal, binary, hexadecimal and octal modes, with conversion between them. makes it even easier for people who don't already know how to do the conversion.

My D180 and the ADS-B unit I installed were similarly frustrating, but somehow I stumbled through and got them to work. The guys who are smart enough to create these techno-wonders are not necessarily smart enough to create instructions we lesser beings can understand.

thank you

I went to windows computer and did probram...then converted frombinery to Hexidecimel...this is a whole new world... all I ever wanted todo was fly a airplane... I did not want to program a computer... some of new stuff is safer... but mostly it takes away from seat of pants flying..which is what I am used too...but thanks a bunch for help...

Dick,

I feel ya, dude! But we picked these beasts to build, so to quote the Bard: The fault lies not within the stars but within ourselves!

Rich

We get that there is a lot to set up in these systems, but to make it clear, here's the exact line from the install manual on setting your HEX code. We do our very best in our manuals to make this clear and easy to do. You don't even need to convert anything, the number you need is right on the FAA page as long as you write down the right one:

AIRCRAFT HEX CODE: The Mode S Code is a 24 bit number issued to the aircraft by the registration authority for the aircraft. The website http://www.airframes.org provides HEX CODEs for most countries’ aircraft that can be directly inputted into SkyView. The HEX CODE is the value shown in the ICA024 result field. Alternatively, Mode S codes for US-registered aircraft can be found at the FAA aircraft registry at http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/. The FAA aircraft register shows both the octal number and the hexadecimal. Setting up the SV-XPNDR-261/262 requires the hexadecimal number (base 16) format; SkyView cannot accept the Octal (base 8) or Decimal (base 10) format. If you only have the octal number, you must convert it to hexadecimal. There is an Octal to Hexadecimal converter tool available in the Support section of http://www.trig-avionics.com/.

Dynon support

Thanks for Mode S converter location (Trig), one question is you show information that you say is in Dynon owner manual.. I never received a owners manual or instruction book with my Dynon Touch unit.. yes I go to you web site and listen to video's but no manual??

Thanks for Mode S converter location (Trig), one question is you show information that you say is in Dynon owner manual.. I never received a owners manual or instruction book with my Dynon Touch unit.. yes I go to you web site and listen to video's but no manual??

What does come in each box with the Dynon equipment is a little post card sized card that explains that documentation is not shipped with the equipment because it is being revised and updated all the time.
It explains that you are supposed to go to their web site which has the most up to date documentation posted.

Back