What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire extinguisher in flight

psojka

I'm New Here
It's my first post so go easy on me...

I have a question that will hopefully prompt a discussion on the topic of using the hand held fire extinguisher in the event of an electrical fire in flight. Keeping in mind the POH says to turn all electrical switches off, open vents, use HHFE if available, initiate an expedited descent and land immediately.

What would it take for you to employ the extinguisher in flight for an electrical fire in flight? I'm wondering about the consequences surrounding using a fire extinguisher in an enclosed environment where it would be hard or even impossible to vent the cockpit enough to safely use it. Wouldn't you risk incapacitating Yourself and not being able to safely get the airplane on the ground? Is there a situation in which you would attempt to vent the cockpit using the side vents and land as soon as possible? Has anyone ever heard of a situation in where the FE was used successfully in flight?

What are your guys' thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That's why the only extinguisher I would initiate inside the cockpit would be a simple foam and water one. And I would be spraying it on ME, not the airplane. Anything else will choke you out and probably not douse the flame.

An electrical fire in the RV-12 is unlikely. The carpet and fuel-tank sealant on the firewall are more likely to be burning (and emitting toxic smoke). A respirator designed to filter out chemicals weighs less than a fire extinguisher.

An electrical fire in the RV-12 is unlikely. The carpet and fuel-tank sealant on the firewall are more likely to be burning (and emitting toxic smoke). A respirator designed to filter out chemicals weighs less than a fire extinguisher.

IFR inside the cockpit is a rating most of us don't have. It doesn't matter if you can breathe if you can't see.

I'm not sure there is a right answer here, but I'll be putting the fire out if possible. Halon is my choice, but if the fire is fuel related...nothing we can fit in our cockpits is going to help much unless it's a very small amount of fuel. I've dumped a 10lb bottle on a fuel fire and needed a second 10lb to kill it. Shockingly, fuel really likes to burn.

Back