What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA-Oklahoma City Question

Phantom30

Well Known Member
I guess I committed a gross sin....used white out on AC form 8050-1 (messed up zip code)...anyhow they kicked back.

However, they also sent back Van's Bill of Sale...stating I was to line through "aircraft" and write in "kit".

Also, fill-out AC form 8050-88 affidavit of ownership for amateur-built and other non-type certified aircraft (which states...does not include light-sport)

Has anyone else run into this?????

you are not alone

I had to send my paperwork back & forth 3 times before I got their approval. There is still much confusion regarding the E-LSA concept, even at Van's and especially at OK City.

As far as I can tell, there are some FAA forms where the have to pretend that we have received a completed aircraft, and not a kit. Other forms require "kit", not "aircraft." Go fig! :mad:

I have only 2 pieces of advice:
(1) stop trying to use reality and logic: they do not apply in OK City.
(2) Follow BobTurner's advice and see what the EAA can do for you.

Just sent in

I just sent in this week the paperwork for registration and I did not cross out and put in Kit..bet it comes back..and down at Van's I asked if paperwork was correct and she got all huffy and said it was correct...guess not?? Hate that this and DAR is going to set things back...:mad:

another question/thought

I also did not fill in price on sale form?? EAA did not say to fill it in and of course lady at Van's was no help....:confused:

mine was opposite - RV-12 ELSA

8050-2 Bill of Sale - Vans had marked out "aircraft" and stamped "kit" as they do for EAB. The letter from FAA stated to remove "kit" and add "aircraft."

Gus said that they should have left it as "aircraft". I simply lined through "kit" and added "aircraft" again to the form. They accepted the hand-written change.

FAA did accept marked-up copies of 8050-2 and 8050-88. I suspect that marking up the carbon style form of 8050-1 is a problem.

Serial number?

So I carefully filled out the 8050-1 per the EAA example, and, like the example and so many other builders, I wrote in my name as the manufacturer, and 001 as my serial number.
But wait...!
The Bill of Sale I got from Vans has my CUSTOMER number as the serial number. And the BofS also says that Van's Aircraft is the manufacturer.
Wha?! Huh?
Now what?:confused:

So I carefully filled out the 8050-1 per the EAA example, and, like the example and so many other builders, I wrote in my name as the manufacturer, and 001 as my serial number.
But wait...!
The Bill of Sale I got from Vans has my CUSTOMER number as the serial number. And the BofS also says that Van's Aircraft is the manufacturer.
Wha?! Huh?

If it's not a RV-12...:)

Vans is the manufacturer since "Aircraft" on the Bill of Sale has been crossed out and "Kit" marked in its place. Vans made the kit.

Vans also used my kit customer number as the serial number and the model as RV-6A

I simply filled out the 8050-1 form carefully.

Manufacturer = Last Name, First name, Initial

Model = Vans RV-6A

Serial Number = My Vans Customer Number

Name = Last Name, First name, Initial

Address per the FAA database for my license - I usually use Oro Valley as the town, but the FAA and Post Office prefers Tucson - I used Tucson :)

Individual box checked.

Printed name under signature, but this time First name, Initial, Last Name

All this just follows "Govt. form filling out 101", the FAA requirements on their web site and comments on VAF about name formats. No EAA package involved.
The hardest part was finding a real typewriter since I didn't trust my printing to fit in the small boxes on the form.

The above worked and my registration came back in 10 days including transit time both directions.
thumbs-up-icon-100px.png

For Completeness - the entire package was -

Cover letter
Affidavit of Ownership for Experimental Aircraft - Form 8050-88
Vans Kit Bill of Sale
The 8050-1 Form
Letter requesting assignment of a reserved registration number to aircraft
FAA confirmation letter of special registration number assigned to the builder
$5 check

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certif...ion/aircraft_registry/amateur_built_aircraft/

Last edited:
Guys...it was my fault😪 First, I use "white-out" on the ac8050-1 (a major noNo)...secondly, I neglected to include the ac8050-88a affidavit of ownership...which cause major confusion.

A call to Oklahoma City....and all is fine! Just has cost me time getting my bird in the air...

I do hate being wrong...eating humble pie isn't in my DNA!

I just sent in this week the paperwork for registration and I did not cross out and put in Kit..bet it comes back..and down at Van's I asked if paperwork was correct and she got all huffy and said it was correct...guess not?? Hate that this and DAR is going to set things back...:mad:

As long as you sent in the ac8050-88a affidavit of ownership form along with "original bill of sale with the ac8050-1...you will be fine. Don't line-out aircraft and replace with "kit".

Scott....if you are following this. It would make it a lot simpler for us dummies if Van's included a cover letter stating which forms go to whom with addresses. Even when....I could have sent in the paperwork two month ago for registration and not be held up getting my DAR inspection with a plane ready to fly. The weather is beautiful...and here I sit on the runway😎

But wait...!
Wha?! Huh?

Is the aircraft you are talking about the one in your signature RV-8, or an RV-12
(you posted this question in the RV-12 forum)?

An E-LSA RV-12 is different than an E-AB RV. It sounds like you might have gotten forms filled out for an E-LSA RV-12. If that is not the aircraft you are doing paperwork for, I suggest you contact the office and ask to get it revised.

Oops...aircraft vs. kit, etc

Sorry, I jumped in the wrong forum...but I think I have a clue thanks to Gil.

Back