What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Induction Leak at Oil Sump

rdoerr01

Well Known Member
ON my IO-540D4A5 engine on my RV-10 I discovered an induction leak around the sump where the steel intake tube(#71699) enters the oil sump. These are the tubes that the rubber hose tube is clamped to and then to the curved intake tube. These steel tubes going into the sump are swaged in there with a special tool that is near impossible to find. There are two different intake tubes which have a different inside diameter. The IO-540 uses the ones which are 1.672/1.696 id. The tool for this is Lycoming Part # 64781 and cost $7,032. I guess Lycoming rented this out at some point, but now I'm having a hard time finding one that I can rent to wager the pipes so they no longer turn.

If anyone know where I could possibly rent this tool, please let me know as the only other option I see is to remove the sump from the engine and send it in, which would mean more down time and labor.

Thanks

Ray Doerr
RV-10 N519RV (Hobbs=1250)

Ray,

The guys at Central Cylinder in Omaha have one - maybe give them a call and see if you can either come up and borrow it or have them fix the leaky pipe for you while you wait. I borrowed it for the engine on my first -10 and the cost was buying them a couple of pizzas for lunch one day. They're located adjacent to KOMA and are really good/easy guys to work with.

ON my IO-540D4A5 engine on my RV-10 I discovered an induction leak around the sump where the steel intake tube(#71699) enters the oil sump. These are the tubes that the rubber hose tube is clamped to and then to the curved intake tube. These steel tubes going into the sump are swaged in there with a special tool that is near impossible to find. There are two different intake tubes which have a different inside diameter. The IO-540 uses the ones which are 1.672/1.696 id. The tool for this is Lycoming Part # 64781 and cost $7,032. I guess Lycoming rented this out at some point, but now I'm having a hard time finding one that I can rent to wager the pipes so they no longer turn.

If anyone know where I could possibly rent this tool, please let me know as the only other option I see is to remove the sump from the engine and send it in, which would mean more down time and labor.

Thanks

Ray Doerr
RV-10 N519RV (Hobbs=1250)

I rented that tool from Zephyr engines in Florida a couple of years ago. The tool was easy to use. BUT, I took the hard route and removed the old induction pipe and swedged in a new one. I'd just re-swedge the old one if I had it to do again. Getting the old one out to replace it was a cast iron you-know-what.

Ray, did you find this when you were changing out your intake gaskets mentioned in another thread? How many are loose, and how bad are they?

(Note, I don't have any experience here, just asking for the sake of a little education.)

Yes, I found they were loose when I went to change the intake gasket and the rubber hose. You could spin the intake steel tube that goes into the sump and you could pull/push it in about 1/16".
Last night I received the rental tool (Lycoming #64781) to sweg the intake tube in the sump. The tool itself was fairly easy to use except you had to make sure the intake steel tube doesn't turn while trying to sweg the grove on the inside of it. I found the best way to stop it from turning was to wrap a steel braided bicycle cable around the tube 5 times and the pull on both end tight to stop it from rotating while you use the tool. This worked great as it kept the pipe tight around the perimeter of the tube versus trying to use a vise grip or something like that which would just pinch it on a couple of side and then makes it impossible to rotate the tool inside the steel tube. Once I figure that out it only took 30 minutes to sweg 3 of the 6 tubes that were loose on my sump. Then I cleaned up the area around the tubes very well and added RTV around them so they would be completely air tight. It should be better than new now.

Thanks

Ray

Last edited:
No idea on the type of pizza, too long ago. I will say though that they aren't exactly a picky bunch!

Bob

Divco

I started with a used core (O320), and sent all of the case parts to Divco. they found that one of the intake tubes on the sump leaked (not loose), and advised replacing all four; cost was $275, and it is noted on the Yellow Tag. The whole sump looked brand new, tubes and all. Seemed like a reasonable price to me.

And...

when you are done getting the tubes nice and tight a nice bead of proseal works real well. As mentioned, just because the tubes are tight does not mean they still won't leak. :)

Back