What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Selling RV to Overseas Buyer

rv7plt

Hi Guys,

I am selling my RV7 to an overseas buyer. He will have the wings pulled and crated up with the fuselage. We will never meet. He will supposedly transfer funds to my bank account, I provide a bill of sale, deliver the plane to an A&P who will dissasemble, crate and ship it. Has anyone done this? What are the pitfalls (if any) or other considerations.

Rob, I sent you a PM if you are around.

John Henley

I have sold 3 planes overseas like this without a hitch. Just make sure you actually have the funds before you decertity the aircraft or let soimeone start dissassembling it.

I would also consider running the paperwork and funds through an escrow agency such as

http://www.aerospacereports.com/

rather than a direct deposit to your account.

Once the escrow agency has the funds you can drop the plane off wherever and once the escrow agency has the paperwork you get the money, the paperwork is filed and whoever can start to dissassemble the new owners plane.

The escrow fee is only a couple of hundred bucks.

Should be pretty easy/smooth. I don't know that using an escrow would really help much.... You still have the plane after the money hits your account :) so wait a few days so funds "clear" (actually probably unnecesary...), then drop it off..

Hi Guys,

I am selling my RV7 to an overseas buyer. He will have the wings pulled and crated up with the fuselage. We will never meet. He will supposedly transfer funds to my bank account, I provide a bill of sale, deliver the plane to an A&P who will dissasemble, crate and ship it. Has anyone done this? What are the pitfalls (if any) or other considerations.

Rob, I sent you a PM if you are around.

John Henley

John,

I sold a RV7QB to a gentleman in Scotland several years ago (not completed). He wired me $2000 to hold the plane and then arranged the first flight he could to come to the states to inspect it and arrange shipment.

The funds came as promised and in about 2 weeks he showed up to load the plane (parts) into a container that shipped to his home in Scotland. He brought with him travelers checks that we went to the bank and cashed. During his brief stay the shipper kept delaying the container so the end result was he had to leave and didn't get to load his plane in the container. I loaded it for him, took pictures and emailed them. It took about a month for the container to get to him, but he was happy in the end. I don't know how much he spent, but it wasn't cheap.

That's been my experience...hope it helps.

Rich

My experience

I sold my RV project to a buyer in South Africa without a hitch. Other than a slight delay on the funds transfer due to his name matching someone on some list requiring further details on his end (like date of birth). That communication had to go through the proper bank-to-bank channels, not through me. I had numerous phone calls and email exchanges with him and was confident it was all legit because he asked the right type of questions. We've kept in touch through periodic updates on his build. He should have it flying any day.

Good luck!

Wire transfer funds

I sold a Cessna this way with the buyer wire transferring funds into my Bank account. I talked to the Bank first and was assured when funds are wire transferred in, they are real and can not be later withdrawn by the person transferring them. This is unlike a check that can turn out to be bad after you ship the plane. Scams usually involve some pressure to ship quickly, or they pay extra for you to arrange the shipping.... Only to find out later they paid with a bad check. And your airplane is long gone.

Thanks to all who replied. I do have one more question, the buyer wants me to deliver the aircraft to Davis, Ca. I live in Florida which is a long haul that I do not want to do. Are there any places on the southeast/east coast that do this type of thing?

John Henley

overseas sale

I sold my RV 7A to a fellow in Australia. We used a wire to get the money here, my banking people said it was a done deal, good money here, and I released the plane.
Also you can save a lot of bother and just have the plane ferried to the buyer, there are people around that do that, mine went to Australia from the US.
John Koonce
N 78 MU

I think the company that shipped my kit to south Africa was in Davis. You might see what Tony Partain would charge to pack up and ship your plane on one of his trailers coming back from an east coast run. Regardless, the buyer should cover the shipping costs, IMO.

Check your PM for another possibility.

Jarlin Aviation

Hi there

Jeff is based in Vacaville CA, I know he has a hangar out in the Davis Area, he shipped my 7 and 10 kits to South Africa, as well as most our kits and spares, he ships to all areas of Africa and Australia.....

Jeff ships on an average of one container a month out

Regards

Norman
South Africa
RV7 130 Hrs
RV10 Sold

Not to get confused...

Jeff Sharman, the International shipper from Vacaville CA is one and the same with the Davis CA shipper. He has hangars at both airports.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

Or....

Or, you can call me, a fellow RV builder.
We can handle the entire process, including escrow and export docs.
We ship worldwide, 60-80 planes a year (yes, some RVs).
We can also pick up your plane anywhere in the country.

Not to toot our own horns too much, but there are several threads here on VAF commending our service.

Craig Vincent
SkyView Aviation, LLC
www.SkyViewAviation.com

Space in Container

I spoke to Jeff this morning, he still has space in a contaner leaving next week for South Africa.

Norman
South Africa

Use my buddy.

John, much closer to you is Souther Field Aviation, in Americus, Ga.
Frankie Williams is a friend of mine and has shipped worldwide many times.
They'll disassemble your airplane, containerize it and do all the paperwork. It's what they do for a living...tell them I sent you.

229 924 2813.

Best,

Bought RV's

I bought two RV's in 2007. I got help from a friend, Wally Anderson, OR. His company is Synergy Air. Wally did the wings off, craters, trucks, etc. I also got his help to assemble the a/c back in Sweden. This worked fine.

I think Escrow (AOPA) is a must for seller and byuer. Today I also would check the possibility to get help flying a/c to Sweden. There are some advertisments about it and with a good insurance it's faster and hopefully cheaper.
/H?lsn Mats, Stockholm (http://www.skroder.se)

Back