What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy - Stop outside handle from striking bow

tturner

Well Known Member
I had just finished the canopy on my RV-6 when someone shut the canopy with the handle turned the wrong way and it took a chip out of the bow over the windshield. I looked on the forums for a fix and the only one I found had you file down the outside handle but mine looked like it would still hit even with that. Below is a link to fix I designed to prevent this from happening.

http://ptcaviation.com/wordpress/?page_id=116

Filing down outside handle works

I had the same problem on my RV6 and still have the chips in the paint to prove it.:) I filed a taper on the bottom side of the outside handle and it now clears without it hitting.

Last edited:
Tapered bottoms have been the standard. Of course, I might never have known, if I hadn't seen it on the interent a few years back.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

One way or another,

this problem needs to be dealt with on all sliders. Van's should at least make a note on the plans. I was able to trim the underside of my outside handle, but were that not possible, your solution looks like the answer. Hope you hadn't painted yet....:(

Thanks for your posting.

Lost Gold

I'm sorry you didn't see the fix that was presented in this forum. There are quite a few refinements that come up here and if you are not following the daily post they are just so much lost gold. I saw the solution proposed here to taper the lower surface up to the point that it clears the windscreen flange when it is in the reverse orientation. I also hit mine once before I quickly incorporated the fix. Your's looks good also and I'm sure it will be picked up and used by others.

Bob Axsom

Back